The Lowry

Salford Quays, Salford, United Kingdom

The Lowry Salford Reviews

Glamour88 Glamour88
Free LS Lowry Gallery Jun 06, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised when I went to visit the Lowry at Salford Quays. Previously I had always thought of his work to not be of my taste, probably because I had only seen his “matchstick men”. I found the gallery to be fantastic, there were a lot of “matchstick men” paintings but there were also many landscape paintings. Admission to the gallery is free but they do ask for donations, I only donated £1 and my friend did the same, do not feel pressurised to donate though as a lot of people do not.

It’s quite a small gallery but we spent about a couple of hours looking around. A couple paintings in particular caught my eye, and I had to buy the prints. One of the paintings was “The Funeral Party”, sounds morbid I know and it isn’t normally the type of art that I enjoy but I had made up a rather funny story about the people in the painting, which my friend and I spent hours laughing about. The other painting was called “Bargoed”, it’s a landscape painting which I spent a long time mesmerised by it.

I could not believe that some of the drawings were being shown as there were several A5 pieces of paper with little pencil squiggles on that were meant to be the sea, we quickly walked past those.

Whilst there we had a look at the Modern Art Exhibition, which my friend and I did not really like; one of the pieces of “art” was a video of an electric toothbrush spinning around by itself, another piece of “art” was a video of a ball bouncing around and the list goes on.

However the Mall was not that pleasant but there were a couple of fantastic Canvas painting shops that I really enjoyed looking around.
osgoodst says:
its free for a reason!
Posted on: Jun 06, 2010
sarahelaine sarahela…
The Lowry Jun 08, 2009
The Lowry is a theatre and gallery complex in Salford, which is a city that is part of Greater Manchester. It is interesting architecturally, and focuses on contemporary and modern art.

The gallery is free. Theatre ticket prices depend on the performance.

The centre is fully disabled accessible. The galleries are free entry, although they do not validate your parking ticket for the mall where you have to park so you have to either pay to park or buy a coffee.

The gallery is well hung, and the displays are interesting. When I went then gallery was showing lots of Lowry works. They always do, but this time they had expanded their permanent collection with other works that belong to other galleries. Lowry is predominantly an artist of industrial landscapes and the poor poeple who lived in them in the mid-twentieth century. There is lots of natural light, and a range of displays even when there is a main exhibition on.

I went back to see the National Theatre's touring version of Hamlet. It was one of the most impressive pieces of theatre I've ever seen, and would have been anywhere. But the theatre does have great acoustics, lighting, and pleasant seating, and that certainly helped.

The mall, on the other hand, is the sorriest excuse for an outlet village that I have ever seen, with filthy coffee shops. It also gets in teh way of your photos of the gallery. The only redeeming feature it has is supernaturally nice staff. But somehow, that's enough.
The Lowry