The Len Foote Inn

Dahlonega, Georgia

The Len Foote Inn Dahlonega Reviews

sevseasail sevseasa…
Some of the best hiking in the area. Jun 26, 2011
I'm going to start by clarifying that I'm writing a review about an Inn, but, although I have been there many times I have never spent the night there, to me it's more about the trip than the destination (not to take away from the beautiful setting), we usually make it a day hike.

This Inn is located in the north Georgia Mountains very close to the start of the Appalachian trail and only accessible by trails (no roads), 4,8 miles of it to be precise. The trail begins at the top of the Amicalola Falls State Park in Dahlonega, Ga which is about one hour north of Atlanta.

It's a moderate trail that can take up to three hours one way. The scenery is phenomenal, specially during the fall when the leaves turn colors.

One of the reasons I never stayed in the Inn is because, although in the middle of nowhere, it's booked year long and you need to make reservations at least 6 months in advance; more if you plan on going in the fall.

My wife and I like to go here once in a while as an escape from the city. Normally we start the trail in the morning. We carry our lunch and plenty of water and snacks. On our way in we can usually get there in just about 2 hrs, taking just one break in the mid point of the trail; there's a bench and we sit there for 10 minutes enjoying the views and a snack.

Once up in the Inn we eat lunch.

Note: they do have a restaurant in the Inn but they do not sell meals to day hikers as they have to haul everything in by ATV's. However the chef always has some kind of pie or cake that it's complementary, you can have some drinks which are also complimentary.

We spend a few hours enjoying the scenery, we play some games, read, relax.... There's a common area where in the winter months they run the fireplace and they have tons of board games and books (in case you forgot your own). it's very quiet and you can meet very nice people up there.

In the afternoon is good to start your hike back with plenty of time so you don't run out of light on the trails.

it's an excellent day trip for those who like hiking.

Check Dahlonega Hotel Deals