The Leaning Tower of Pisa

torre.duomo.pisa.it - +39 050560547

The Leaning Tower of Pisa Reviews

vincent85 vincent85
overrated May 16, 2011
very costly, just to go 50m up in the air...

but a nice square, where we played soccer with some italians!

very easy to reach from Firenze by train. You can visit it all in one day. Don't stay 2 days! it's better to stay a day longer at Firenze then.
Hotguy Hotguy
pisa tower Apr 03, 2011
Its an outstanding monument of the world...italy is one of most beautiful country in the world with the roman culture, scenic beauty, very beautiful hertage structures...worth vistiing once in life time
davidx davidx
An unorthodox view Nov 05, 2010
I know I'm in a minority but I don't see the famous Leaning Tower as anything other than a tourist trap.

It's like this:

1.) A tower is built that's meant to be vertical - like most towers are.

2.) It starts to lean but does not fall down. To me that's interesting and I enjoyed going up with my children in 1976.

3.) It becomes dangerous - still interesting but you can't let people get close - so the possibility of making big money is reduced.

4.) There are three architecturaly sensible possibilities: (a) Straighten it; (b) pull it down or (c) leave it to fall down and take bets on wen it will.

5.) So what did they do? restored it to a safe lean and charge a phenomenal price to go up.

I ask you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The leaning tower, Pisa
The Cathedral, Pisa
The Baptistry, Pisa
WalterC says:
I think of it as one of those places that has to be visited by everyone, if it just to cross it off the list. ;)
Posted on: May 20, 2012
Chokk says:
Ha-ha, which also is fair!
Posted on: Nov 07, 2010
davidx says:
That puts you in a massive majority - but I dislike it.
Posted on: Nov 07, 2010
keithmaguire keithmag…
The Leaning Tower Of Pisa Jun 15, 2008
The Leaning Tower of Pisa is one of the most enduring images for travellers worldwide. Though the town of Pisa is of little interest aside from the Campo Dei Miracoli this one site alone makes Pisa worth a visit, even if it is just as a stop off in between one place and another. The Field of Miracles can be seen in one long afternoon and should be squeezed into any visit to Tuscany.

Climbing the tower is not cheap. It costs 15 euro. All over Italy you can climb, towers and domes and rarely is it this expensive but climbing the Leaning Tower is of course a huge novelty. It is definitely a surreal experience to climb a tower that is leaning, especially as the stairway is obviously spiralled. You will probably find yourself leaning inward as you round the leaning side of the tower, especially when you get near the windows! Climbing the tower would be a nice experience even if it wasn't leaning as on the upper levels you can admire the loggia of the tower.

At the top there are decent views of the town and some distant moutains and some excellent views of the Campo, Cathedral and Baptistry. For the first few minutes you might find yourself gripping the handrail at the edge of the tower as the well worn marble is a little slippery but you become accustomed to the tilt and get caught up in the experience. I'm sure most would have at least one friend with you, as I did, who gets a kick from leaning backwards over the edge as soon as they make it to the top!

When I climbed the tower in 2005 it cost 15 euro, expensive for Italy (especially when you are not even half way through a four week trip) but it was a cost I didn't think twice about. People go to Pisa for the sole purpose of climbing the tower, it must be done! It's great to be able to say 'I've climbed The Leaning Tower of Pisa', especially since it had been closed for a time not too many years before. Although engineers have recently stabilised the tower and it should be fixed in one place for about 200 years you just never know as the tower has been flirting with the ground below for centuries. So get to the tower as fast as you can and climb that bell tower! Marvel at the flat land below.
The Leaning Tower Of Pisa
The Base Of The Tower
The Cathedral And The Tower
The View From The Tower
mfmoorede mfmoorede
An awesome piece of work. Jun 26, 2008
I marked the cost as free because I think the admission price to enter is just too much per person (around 15 Euro per person which is like a huge chunk of American Dollar these days). This is a great structure but I think the tourists are unfortunately being taken advantage of here. The view from the outside is jawdropping enough. I do splurge on some of the tourists sites but I just didn't feel the compulsion to do it on this particular trip.
funinuk funinuk
Jul 10, 2007
The famous leaning tower of Pisa is the bell tower for the nearby cathedral and it's construction has taken almost 200 years.

Although intended to stand vertically, the tower began leaning to the southeast soon after it's construction in 1173 due to a poorly laid foundation.

The height of the tower is 55.86 m from the ground on the lowest side and 56.70 m on the highest side. The width of the walls at the base is 4.09 m and at the top 2.48 m. Its weight is estimated at 14,500 tonnes. The tower has 294 steps and leans at an angle of 5.5 degrees.

We only stopped in Pisa to see the Tower on the way through to Florence but found it to be a lovely place to stop for lunch and see the sights.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to go up the tower. It was such a lovely place with green lawns around the beautiful buildings.
lisabuddy lisabuddy
Jul 14, 2007
To have seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa was a nice experience. It was really leaning:p It was so funny to actually see that! And really good having, since one day it apparently will fall over...that's sad. But now that I have seen it, I can at least breath out;)

Before you'll arrive to the tower there are thousends of suvinir stands to work your way through. But there are many nice and interesting things to get. Everything what has to do with the tower is there, everything from T-shirts, small to big towers, dishes & lamps till vodka, grappa or olive oil in leaning pisa-bottles & leaning shot-glasses;) hehe..a bit for every taste!
The leaning tower of Pisa!
yadilitta yadilitta
The famous Leaning Tower of Pisa Jun 23, 2006
The image of the famous Leaning Tower is maybe one of the most recognized world wide.

You can climb it but it's not cheap and there's always a long line of tourists. It was much longer as I expected and couldn't do it :(

Once I was there I realized I should have booked for it. If you want to climb it my recommendation would be to go there as soon as you arrive to Pisa, so you can book it and once you have booked it, take a walk through the city and visit the other monuments.

I might have not climbed, but enjoyed it!

Related Travel Blogs About The Leaning Tower of Pisa

Pisa - Only One Fabulous Field of Miracles
  Pisa - Only One Fabulous Field of Miracles   American country singer, T.G. Sheppard, wrote and recorded a tune in 1981 that discussed the uniqueness of the Leaning Tower of Pisa a…Leaning Tower of Pisa and other one-of-a-kind things.   A self-described vagabond, Sheppard once…
Pisa
The next morning left for Pisa. The day being 25th Dec the hotel mngr packed some Xmas cake for us. Really nice fellow, spoke perfect english and helped us a lot in getting the missing luggage from M…Pisa (Leaning Tower of Pisa) was visible in its full glory, fighting a battle with gravity. Breathtaking. It is situated…
Leaning Tower of Pisa
My tour guide told us about his time going to Pisa, he said " i spent 2 days in pisa and it was 47 hours and 30 minnutes too long" i was shocked to hear this. Then once we got off the bus and started…Leaning Tower of Pisa and a few shops. THATS ALL!!! so the group spent most of the time trying…

Check Pisa Hotel Deals