The Leadmill (City Centre)

7 Leadmill Rd, Sheffield, United Kingdom - 0114 221 2828

The Leadmill (City Centre) Sheffield Reviews

dougal dougal
Apr 21, 2007
I used to come here a lot back in the day. In fact at one stage we used to visit at least three times a week. But those were heady heydays in the second summer of love. Since then we've gone our separate ways, the Leadmill and I and now I only make infrequent visits for special events.

The Leadmill is, to my knowledge, the oldest nightclub in Sheffield and has always been a student venue. The place is divided into three rooms with a bar in each. The main room houses the large dancefloor and stage upon which many and varied bands have trodden. I've seen too many acts to remember here but some notable names include Oasis, The Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, The Manic Street Preachers, The Stereo MCs and Flowered Up (well I liked Flowered Up!)

When there's no band on this serves as the main club area. Saturday nights have always been indie disco night and this remains to today. The rest of the week used to be cool student based nights (Fridays were a particular favourite with a blend of techno and indie dance.) Recent years however have seen it veer more towards the cheesy venue type of music and last time I visited it was more akin to a wedding disco.

The second room used to serve as the bar area complete with tables and chairs and (obviously) a very well stocked bar. Nowadays this houses the second room and usually contains a specialist DJ of some sorts. The third small bar also has a dj booth and a very small dance area.

All in all the place still has it's merits (they serve Jagermeister after all) but as the prices have increased they've blanded it out somewhat and it's lost it's cool edge.

Perhaps everything changes with time but to me it's a loss.
Amanda says:
Damn straight you are!!!
Posted on: May 07, 2007
dougal says:
Yes indeed - I am now older, wiser and one hell of a lot cooler!
Posted on: May 07, 2007
Amanda says:
Perhaps it lost it's edge... or perhaps you've gained more of one, and require a cooler place than you did in your young days? Much like visiting your childhood house and thinking how it used to be much larger...
Posted on: May 06, 2007