The Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and Historic Home

Mansfield, Missouri

The Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and Historic Home Mansfield Reviews

o_dog o_dog
The Laura Ingalls-Wilder Museum and Historic Home, Mansfield, MO Jun 21, 2008
The Laura Ingalls-Wilder Museum and Historic Home were located in Mansfield, MO, the original home site of the known author of ‘Little House on the Prairie.’ Mansfield is a very small, sleepy town in rural Missouri. The downtown area was probably about two blocks all around. There was the Mansfield Bank, a town center, a cemetery, and a few shops. The Museum and Historic Home was about a mile east from downtown Mansfield.

Visiting the site was like a rereading the story about Laura Ingalls and her experiences living in the Midwest during pioneer time. The description was impeccable. The house, the household items, the view, and everything. One could appreciate all these things if one had read her books. I remembered I really enjoyed the books when I was much younger and I read them like I read history.

The Museum fee was $8 for adult. The Museum was built right next to the home which now belonged to the Association of Laura Ingalls-Wilder. The Museum was filled with personal items from the Ingalls family. Everything was kept intact. There were family photos, Pa Ingalls’ fiddler, household items, furniture, books, a wooden hack, on to Laura’s daughter’s typewriter and the version of Laura’s books from many different languages. No photography was allowed inside the museum and the home site, however. The tour of the house started. The house was extremely small inside, obviously customized to the family Wilders’ height (the tour guide said she was 4’11” and her husband was 5’4”). I thought everything in the house was very cute. Almanzo Wilder, Laura’ husband, was clearly an excellent carpenter judging from all the homemade furniture in the house. We got to see the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, study, living room, dining room, and library corner. Then, I went to the Rock House, the house built by their daughter, author Rose Wilder Lane, located about a quarter of a mile down the road. This house was and English-style made of rocks. I was the only person visiting, and the tour guide lady was nice enough to give me a grand tour of the house. Both of us had read the Little House books and we exchanged some good conversation about the books and the house and the Wilders. I asked the tour guide lady whether she had some kind of relation with the Wilders or the association. She said no. She was just working for the Wilder Association in the summer.

I took some last outside pictures of the house (no photography was allowed inside the Rock House, either). Then I hurried back to the car. It was almost noon, and I got to hit the road to Kansas City to check in to my hotel and head to the TB meetup at the Classic Cup Cellar at the Plaza.
o_dog says:
Thanks so much, Bill! You'll have a great time there if you do.
Posted on: Aug 16, 2008
bkretzer says:
Good Blog, Sari! I can't wait to visit, too!
Posted on: Aug 15, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About The Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and Historic Home

Some odd and hysterical facts on the road
Asian Girl FetishI felt much better after having my breakfast, but it’s time to go. My first itinerary was to visit The Laura Ingalls-Wilder Museum and Historic Home, which was in Mansfield, about …Laura Ingalls-Wilder Museum and Historic Home, which was in Mansfield, about a few miles east from the inn. When…

Check Mansfield Hotel Deals