AsiaChinaDaliDali Hotels

The Laughing Lotus Inn

Dali, China
0872 887 1246
The Laughing Lotus Inn - The courtyard
The Laughing Lotus Inn - My room (the single)
The Laughing Lotus Inn - View from my window looking down.  That is a pedestrian street with a stream from the mountains.
The Laughing Lotus Inn - The building
The Laughing Lotus Inn - View from my window looking up.
The Laughing Lotus Inn - Old wood paneling in my room.

Check Dali Hotel Deals

The Laughing Lotus Inn Dali Reviews

jenmarie77 jenmarie…
A Very Special Place May 16, 2010
This is one of those special places you sometimes hear about during your travels. If you have a chance to stay here, do it! You won't be disappointed.

This is a small hotel with only 5 rooms. The building is relatively new, but the interior is decorated with beautiful Bai wooden panels that the hotel owners rescued from some nearby homes that were being torn down. It is located on a pedestrian street in the NW corner of the Dali city wall. In front of the building is a stream of water coming down from the mountain. (The stream is manmade, but the source is real.) At night you can fall asleep to the sounds of the water flowing right outside your room. Behind the building is a real courtyard that is used by several families in the surrounding buildings. This provides a wonderful glimpse into village life that a tourist doesn't often get to see. There are some chickens that are kept in wicker baskets. An elderly man will often sit outside during the day and play the erhu. The location within Dali is perfect--it is just a 5 minute walk from some waterside bars and a 10 minute walk from the heart of the town, but that distance makes all the difference in the amount of noise you are exposed to at night. It is nice and quiet.

I stayed in the single room. The only reason I didn't give this hotel a perfect score was because the bathroom was pretty small. But that is understandable--they had to make good use of the space they had available. And I've seen photos of the other rooms' bathrooms, and they are much larger and look very relaxing. The single room is only 80RMB. You really can't ask for anything more!

But the best part of this hotel isn't the building or location. The owners are very warm and laidback people. They want to make sure their guests have a great experience. Because the hotel is so small, you don't need to worry about trying to fight your way to the front of a queue to get some travel advice. They are available to offer advice and answer any questions at any time. On my last evening in Dali they invited me to go to dinner with them and some friends. This was the perfect end to my Dali experience.

If you have any questions about this place, feel free to contact me. They are a small and fairly new place, and I really want to see them succeed!
The building
The courtyard
My room (the single)
View from my window looking down. …

Check Dali Hotel Deals