The Last Resort

Barabise, Nepal

The Last Resort Barabise Reviews

DimpleDee DimpleDee
Adventure paradise! Nov 04, 2014
This is a place where you should definitely go if you're into extreme spots. There's bungee jumping, canyon swings, rafting.. etc. So many activities to choose from. I did the bungee and honestly, I'm so afraid of heights and the staffs were so nice with helping us all calm and just enjoy the bungee. You can see that they were well trained. I felt so safe tho I'm afraid of heights and it's my first jump.

The staffs were all friendly & tents were well kept. I had trouble with the shower room because the hot water were not that hot and i'd recommend that if you want to shower, do it earlier because it gets dark and cold.

It's also a good place to just unwind. They offer massages with affordable price and beautiful nature to just read and relax. Overall, loved it!
Kathmandu1 says:
Staffs were so nice and you don't scare with height. Good; very good!😂
Posted on: Nov 04, 2014
dardeb dardeb
Perfect place for relaxing and exciting adventure in beautiful nature Nov 05, 2011
Tha Last Resort is located 14km from the border with Tibet.

It is a very popular resort mostly for day trippers wanting to do 2nd largest bungee jump in the world. However this place offers so much more and is worth at least couple of nights.

We stayed two nights, and three days.

They provide transportation, leaving 6am from Thamel, Kathmandu. On your way back buses leave around 4pm. Ride is 3-4 hours. One half of the ride is very scenic, as you drive along the Bothe Kosi river and the deep river canyon, with rice fields on the hills. Driving is a bit wild and scary, especially when your driver looks only 14 years old. Roads are narrow and not in the best shape. There is one spot midway where they do a 15 minute break. Bathroom at this place is not good, so try not to need it.

When you get there, you have to cross the suspension bridge, hanging 160m above the gorge. It is beautiful and heart stopping!

When you cross the bridge you're immediately in the resort. Accommodation is in safari style huts with comfortable beds and big covers. There are regular tents as well. All is set in lush exotic forest. Our tent #24 was last along one of the paths through the forest. Just walking along these paths was wonderful for us. We truly enjoyed it!

Shared bathroom facilities were good beyond my expectations. Shower rooms were very big, and had this part with a bench and many hooks so you can change here and leave your things. There was always hot water. Bathrooms were really clean, for such a setting and so many guests.

Food is provided buffet style. For breakfast you can choose between freshly made omelets, and all the other standard options. Lunch and dinner had usually one meat dish, couple of veggie dishes and rice. Not a huge selection, but good and made from fresh local produce. One day there was Nepali food, rest was just Western, with pasta, burgers, and similar things. It was all tasty, but nothing spectacular. There were people who complained about food, but we liked it. People who were serving it were very nice, always smiling, explaining everything, and answering all our questions. All the staff was really really great!

Activities include bungee jumping, swing, rafting, canyoning, high ropes, and hiking.

We tried bungee, rafting, high ropes and hiking.

For bungee and swing they weigh you first, then divide people into groups based on their weight. The jump is from the suspension bridge, and I think they said it’s 130m. It is very professionally done, with instructors explaining everything along the way. Your jump will be filmed, and just before you jump you will get an opportunity to record your last words. Once you jump, down by the river you’ll find a spot to rest with a bed, then you have to hike up the hill, which is very demanding, so take your time and enjoy it, it’s beautiful. Later in the day they will show you your video, and you can purchase it, it comes with lots of photos as well, and you get a T-shirt with their logo on it. You’ll have to pick up the DVD in Thamel, at their office.

Swing is done together with bungee, they do one bungee jump, then one swing. They say with bungee you have 2-3 seconds of free fall, and with swing 6-7 seconds. You can exchange one for the other.

Rafting is the only thing that is outsourced, so it’s not done by The Last Resort. Bothe Kosi river is wild, and when we were there waters were still high to do upper part. We confirmed several times that we want the lower part and at the Last Resort they reassured us it will be the lower part. When we got into the bus, seats were wet, not just dump like everything over there, but wet. They took us 20 minutes down the river, then told us to change in the bus. There was no hut or anything at this spot. They don’t provide full equipment. All we got was some wet shirts, and over that you have to attach life jacket. You also get a very old helmet. So you’re going in whatever clothes you bring for the trip, and your own footwear. We didn’t know this, and only brought one pair of shoes for the whole trip and didn’t want to get it wet. It’s so dump that it’d be impossible to dry them. Instructor told us he’s done rafting all over the world, but when we asked where he only named two places, one in the US and another one somewhere in Asia. Turns out that this is the first day this season when they try to do the upper part. We looked at each other, some of us had done rafting before, with not so good experiences, and everything was just not right. So three of us quit, and one friend went on. We were left there to find our own way back to the camp, and were lucky that this very nice guy stopped and gave a free ride to the camp few minutes later. Our friend that went rafting said it was crazy, and they didn’t even do the whole course, they quit after battling wild upper part for a while. Everybody was frozen, it was only 10 degrees outside and raining most of the time. They were left to get a public bus back to the camp, as the bus left for Kathmandu.

I don’t regret not going, although I really wanted to try it. This is also the only thing from the Last Resort that I don’t recommend. Everything else is done very professionally, and is very safe, but rafting is not.

In exchange we did High Ropes adventure the next day. It is fun. It’s done in pairs, so if you don’t have your friend, you will be provided with one I guess, but may not be the best option. The first part is climbing this very wide big hanging ladder, and it just might be the toughest part. Once you’re up, the adventure begins and it’s fun. There are 6 or 7 obsticles to cross, set between trees. The thing I didn’t like is that below the trees is this little stable with goats, and there were cows walking around the course ground. Didn’t smell very nice, and you had to watch where you step.

We also did hiking, hour and a half. It took us through the village, where we saw how people live, then through amazing rice fields, up the hill from where you have spectacular views and on a clear day you can even see white mountain peaks. We also passed by a school and visited for few minutes. Many animals to see on the route. Particularly cute were baby goats.

All your free time, if you have any, is spent in the main hut, the common area. It is very nicely done, and has a full bar. They have power outage from time to time, but there are candles and it’s all part of the great atmosphere this place has. There are books and movies and board games, so plenty of things to do. No internet. There are power outlets in the main hut to charge your phone or computer. You will find them in the bathroom area as well.

They have a plunge pool, and you can get a massage as well. It was too cold to try the pool. Our friend who hurt his neck while rafting got a massage and loved it.

This place offers so many things, is set in most beautiful nature, manager and all the stuff are extremely friendly and helpful. We kept changing our activities few times a day, and it was all ok with them, they accommodated every little request we had, with a smile.

We simply loved this place, highly recommend spending few days here and would definitely go back!

It is not cheap, but well worth it!
our buses as we make a short break
crossing the bridge
welcome to the Last Resort
around the main hut
Biedjee Biedjee
Adrenaline and relaxation in one place Oct 18, 2010
The Last Resort offers a very strange combination of adrenaline sports and relaxation in a low-key Eco-resort.

Most people only come here on a day trip from Kathmandu to do a bungee jump or white water rafting. The resort definitely merits a longer stay though.

The Last Resort is also an excellent stopover when travelling to or from Tibet.

Accommodation is in large permanent tents that sleep up to three people (the tents have a double and a single bed). The tents lie scattered throughout the forest, giving you a fair bit of privacy.

The shared facilities are spotless and fortunately there's a choice of both local (squat) and Western-style toilets. The showers are very eco-friendly, which means solar-heated and gravity-fed, i.e. if you're unlucky then all you get is an icy cold trickle.

Food is served buffet style and is absolutely wonderful. A mix of Nepali and Western food, made entirely from local fresh produce. There's a fully stocked bar as well.

Furthermore there is a tiny plunge pool and several sunny lawns where you can relax. Basically relaxing is what it's all about. That and adrenaline sports.

The Last Resort is not only the site of the highest bridge bungee jump in Asia (160 metres), but also a canyon swing off the same bridge. Furthermore you can do caving and canyoning treks (not for the faint-hearted either) or multi-day white water rafting trips on the Bhote Kosi river.

The resort can only be booked online or through their sales office in Kathmandu. My advice is to make your booking online in advance, as the sales desk is utterly useless. Before I went on my two-week Everest trek I tried to make a reservation for when I'd be back from my trek. I was told I had better do this after my trek, since I was travelling alone and might have to share a tent with another solo traveller. When I returned after my trek I was told they were fully booked and I couldn't go any more. With a lot of effort I managed to persuade the staff to double check bookings and make phone calls and finally they were able to book me in a shared tent. Once at the resort I was surprised to find that not only I had a tent for myself, but there were several tents unoccupied!

Same thing with the activities. Once you book them you can't change any more. Yes, you can change from bungee jump to canyon swing, but if you've only booked one of the two, you can't upgrade and do both.

My advice if you go here, take your time. Spend at least three days here and try to book all activities in advance – they're worth it!
The bridge
Most visitors will only come here …
My tent
View of the canyon
edsander edsander
Relaxation or Adrenaline Rush ? Oct 12, 2006
During our journey from Tibet back to Kathmandu we stayed at The Last Resort for a couple of hours. A real shame that we couldn't stay longer, I would have liked to spend a day or two at this place.

The Last Resort is located close to the Tibetan border in a region where the surroundings get more rough while they rise to the Tibetan plateau. The lack of any big city in the direct area makes this a little piece of heaven with it's tranquility. But if relaxation starts to bore you there's a load of activities that the Last Resort offers to its guests: rafting, canyoning, trekking, biking and best of all a Bungy jump into a 160 m gorge of the Bhote Kosi river. The jump isn't cheap but it seemingly is one of the 'deepest' in the world. I had anticipated the jump for weeks and I was really disappointed to find that they weren't jumping on the day we visited the Last Resort. Or maybe I was relieved ... I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, if you are travelling between Kathmandu and Tibet make sure you stop at this place for at least one of their fine buffet lunches. Or better, plan a couple of days with some activities and relaxation at this place. It will be a nice diversion from the hectic life in Kathmandhu.
The suspension bridge at The Last …
The Last Resort, Nepal.
Anybody fancy a 160 meter Bungy ju…

Related Travel Blogs About The Last Resort

Last day at Last Resort
Today we planned to do High Ropes instead of rafting. It looked like fun, but it turned out to be embarrassing experience for me. It's done in pairs and I didn't have my pair, so they paired me with … Today we planned to do High Ropes instead of rafting. It looked like fun, but it turned out to be…
Off to the Last Resort
Today we departed for the Last Resort in the mountains. They provide a bus ride, and there were five buses waiting for us at 6 am. It was weekend so I guess many people were just going for bungee jum… Today we departed for the Last Resort in the mountains. They provide a bus ride, and there were five buses…
Adventure and fun in the Last Resort
Today we had rafting scheduled just after breakfast. We were a bit anxious about this trip, as couple of my friends had bad experiences with rafting in Europe. They put us on a bus and the seats on t… Today we had rafting scheduled just after breakfast. We were a bit anxious about this trip, as couple of my…
Barabise Map