The Lady and Sons

www.ladyandsons.com - 912-233-2600

The Lady and Sons Savannah Reviews

Dreamsoftravel Dreamsof…
Hated it!! Sep 30, 2011
I love Paula and was expecting to gain 5 lbs that day eating her food...NOT. It was bland, no flavor at all. The fried chicken, the mac and cheese, OMG the greens were just horrible. I'm from VA so I know southern cooking and what it should taste like. These are basics, not fancy complicated dishes just basic southern dishes and it was not good in any way shape or fashion. I can cook better than that and that's just me being honest. I was so disappointed because like I said I love Paula and was expecting to throw down, but that wasn't the case. I ran into some locals in one of the parks and they warned me that Lady and Sons was not good and I should go to Mrs Wilkes instead, but how could I not try it...so sorry I did. A few days later I went to Mrs. Wilkes and almost ate my fingers off it was so good.
osgoodst osgoodst
Slooooooooooow Food; Stay for the Fried Green Tomatoes Jan 01, 2009
Lady and Sons is ran by celebrity super-chef Paula Deen who takes a lot of heat for her barbeque and attempts at Cajun food, this is what superstar chef Antony Bourdain has to say about her:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m reluctant to bash what seems to be a nice old lady. Even if her supporting cast is beginning to look like the Hills Have Eyes--and her food a True Buffet of Horrors. A recent Hawaii show was indistinguishable from an early John Waters film. And the food on a par with the last scene of Pink Flamingos. But I’d like to see her mad. Like her look-alike, Divine in the classic, “Female Trouble.“ Paula Deen on a Baltimore Killing Spree would be something to see. Let her get Rachael in a headlock--and it’s all over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also much of the travbuddy community seems to have it in for her restaurant, the mistake made by all is to eat her non-native cuisine, stick with classic Savannah dishes and you will be delighted.... do you really think that Chef Boyardee makes great sushi, or Colonel Saunders makes a mean New England Clam Chowder or Lamb Tanjine with Prunes?

Yea that’s what I thought.

The beauty of southern cuisine is that you take a group of normally bland tough pieces of food, combine them all together, and then deep fry them or slowly cook them into an easy to eat bite that will fill you up quickly, and clog up your heart if you have too much of it!

I have been to the restaurant twice, once with my parents when I got laid off by Pfizer, and once when I was dating a southern girl. During the winter time when I visited last the place was fairly deserted, thinking because of the low season combined with the sagging economy in the United States kind of drove people off.

Here’s my recommendation from my crazy times down in Savannah:

Appetizer: Fried Green Tomatoes... A Georgian favourite that takes one of the healthiest foods around, deep frying it, and making it divine. It comes with an amazing onion relish that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Main Course: You need to have two of these:

Shrimp with Grits: Another Savannah Favorite, that is even better with Paula Deen's special sauce. The shrimp matches well with the grits, and sort of reminds me of in Asian cuisine of pairing meat with rice.

Crab Cakes: Always good, these are paired with collared greens making a southern impoverished version of surf N turf.

Crab Stuffed Shrimp: An erotic combination of gritty crab with smooth cholesterol rich shrimp. Think steak stuffed with mushrooms.

Desert:

Pecan Pie, need I say more?

So to conclude:

Eat Savannah style food, not barbeque but seafood, we're on the coast, not the high country, and you'll be back for more.

The economy in the USA sucks right now so you don't need to worry about lines and long waits... more importantly the food is surprisingly affordable for something this nice.

Drink Sweet Tea and not Wine

And finally, give Paula Deen a break! My mom, dad and Rachel are all still raving about the place!
paula deen butt massage, very nice…
tastenc tastenc
Worth the wait! Sep 03, 2005
This place is worth the wait! The food was awesome! Her mac & cheese is the best I have ever tasted! Everything was wonderful :-)

Related Travel Blogs About The Lady and Sons

1000 Places to See Before You Die -- US & Canada... My List
Land Between the Lakes -- Kentucky Branson -- Missouri Shawnee National Forest -- Illinois St. Louis Arch -- St. Louis, Missouri (5/1995) Lincoln Historic Sights... New Salem (11/1996); …Savannah's Best Eateries... Lady and Sons -- Georgia (7/2006) Country Music Hall of Fame -- Nashville, Tennessee (4/2007) Lincoln Presidential…
Savannah's Southern Charm
I knew today would be a long day.  I wanted to get up by 6:30, but stayed in bed until 7.  Once we did finally get around, SarahBeth wanted to go back to the beach, so we walked back over t…Savannah.  Specifically to eat at Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons Restaurant.  Getting there too late for lunch…
Embark on Cruise
After flying north back over our home and Fresno, we proceeded north over Lake Tahoe and the Reno area and finally past Mt. Rainier and arrived in Vancouver at just 12 noon.  Our paperwork from …ladies, a couple from Oklahoma, and a man and his grown son from Savannah, Georgia.   The waiter said he was busy…

Check Savannah Hotel Deals