The King's Own Band Club Bar and Restaurant

21 230 281

The King's Own Band Club Bar and Restaurant Valletta Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Great local ambiance, atmosphere and food Dec 03, 2011
I had arrived at the Hotel Phoenicia and checked-in, dropped my stuff and headed in to Valletta’s old town to find something to eat. I was walking along the Triq ir-Repubblika, that is one of the main streets in to the old city center. After having passed a couple of places I entered The King's Own Band Club Bar and Restaurant for mainly two reasons; the first being their menu that was traditional Maltese and the second was the name of the place.

Inside the place was not spectacular but more honest than cozy. There was a bar in the corner where some guys were quite loud in a good way, having a couple of drinks too many. In the restaurant section that was an open space area going at least two stories high to the roof of the building, there were only one table occupied. It was 8 Russian women having loads of fun. I took a table next to them and ordered a beer while I looked at the menu.

I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed to start with a octopus salad followed by some Maltese olive and lemon marinated meat; I ordered a bottle of white wine to go along with meal. The food was really great and I loved the local ambiance.

I can only stress one thing don’t go here if you want to have a fancy restaurant and slick waiters that will suck-up to you. This is an honest local restaurant with honest traditional Maltese meals. Next to the open room where you eat you have the bar where people watch football games and have fun. I really felt lucky finding this place because I enjoyed the un-snobbish atmosphere and the honest food.

The name comes from a great story about the Kings band “La Stella” that was founded in 1874.
My octopus starter
My local meat dish
The name and the history
Chokk says:
Deb; no I was actually enjoying the house and the food more. The guys just had fun - I had our pleasure ;D
freshxthisx says:
Sounds like my kinda place!! :)) And I bet you really observed the lively guys having fun!! LOL!!!
Chokk says: