The Kaweah Post Office

Three Rivers, California

The Kaweah Post Office Three Rivers Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
A little bit of how things began Dec 18, 2011
Not long ago, one of our TB friends from Hanford, May (pasyandora) wrote a review on a place that I was not aware of, the very old and small Kaweah Post Office. I have had a little extra feeling for Post Offices my whole life as my dad worked as a carrier for his whole career of 32 years. So when I read her great review I knew I had to go and make a visit also. Kaweah is a part of the community of Three Rivers nowadays, but the little post office has remained open all these years. Many people in this foothill community have their mail delivered by a small car, but there are 117 boxes here in this facility where some of the residents have their mail securely delivered and don’t have to worry about someone driving by and stealing the mail from the box out at the roads edge which sometimes can be quite a distance from the home.

It is not difficult to find at all, sitting just on the side of the road with nothing else around. There is room for a couple of cars to park and of course a monument to the fact that it is a part of Tulare Counties Historical past. The monument was placed in 1948 and reads: “KAWEAH POST OFFICE - The Kaweah Cooperative Colony was a Utopian project started in 1886. For several years it attracted international attention and many settlers came here and actually did much to further their ideals. Unable to secure title to the land, and because of internal difficulties, the organization ceased to exist after 1892, leaving as one of its tangible reminders, the Kaweah Post Office.”

With all of the belt tightening in government and the closing of so many post offices over the last few years, I think the only thing keeping this one open is the Historic Marker that sits out front.
The sign for "Kaweah". Note popula…
Isn't this a great little site!
X_Drive says:
Brian, the foothills of the Sierra's Nevada have long been home to some of the wildest and craziest groups and organizations you can imagine. It still goes on today. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! :D
Posted on: Dec 23, 2011
sylviandavid says:
Roger.... So happy to see you featured!!! Congratulations..... Love that you got the information of this site/sight from TravBuddy and went to see it.... sylvia
Posted on: Dec 22, 2011
spocklogic says:
Interesting - and Kaweah Colony, I discovered, was partially based on the writings of the American Socialist, Edward Bellamy. He is best known for his utopian novel "Looking Backward". Written in 1887, it's sort of a Sci-Fi tale set in the year 2000, with some agenda of course. Famous book, sort of. I like it sometimes when I learn a little something I didn't know in reading a review and looking into it more myself.
Posted on: Dec 22, 2011