The Jones House B&B

Check Nacogdoches Hotel Deals

The Jones House B&B Nacogdoches Reviews

walterman9999 walterma…
The Historic Jones House B&B, Nacogdoches, Texas USA Jun 26, 2016
At First I just wanted to go inside the Roland Jones house and meet the owner and House Manager, Cathy. Then I wanted to stay in this high end five star plus 1897 historic house; open by appointment only, Bed and Breakfast.

Finally with the May 16, 2016 Sylvia's birthday coming up we decided to celebrate by staying at The Jones House. With little more than a weeks notice, Cathy (the House Manager) accepted my appointment. I started my countdown to D-day on May 16. This would be the first and only true five star Hotel we would ever get to stay in for the night.

The day arrived, and I was sitting comfortably on the veranda of The Jones House at the 1600 check in time when House Management came out to invite us inside. We received a house tour and orientation to the House's sound policies, and a key set. When everything was squared away, He dismissed himself and we had this great historic House alone...we lucked out!

I dont know what Sylvia did then cuz I had a photo opp calling for me. I noticed that the Jones House was full of high end authentic antique furniture, paintings, glassware, sterling, and carpets. The floors were not the original 1897 floors; but still hand crafted hardwood antique floors. After over an hour shooting, I settled down to read the Jones House copies of The History of Texas, and a better book about Diedrich Rulfs; the architect and strict construction supervisor on the Roland Jones House and all the best buildings and homes in the late 1800s and early 1900s Nacogdoches area.

After a late pumpkin bread snack, I retired upstairs to my bedroom and joined up with Sylvia. I always carried my Jones House keys as instructed by staff, cuz the bedrooms doors always lock when shut. Since we had the House alone we left the door open all the time. The bathroom had Roland Jones House soap and shampoo bottles with a drawing of the House on the packages and bottles. (One unused shampoo bottle is now on my home mantel with my low end antique glassware and next to my Sterne-Hoya House and Museum tall coffee mug.) Finally I drifted off to sleep for the night.

Roland Jones was a Louisiana politian who married Lillie Mathews and moved to Nacogdoches, Texas. The Roland Jones House was designed and built by Deidrich Rulfs (the top architect of the day) in 1897, after the passing of Roland Jones. Four generations of the Jones Family lived in the Jones House. The house was purchased by A T Mast (of the Nacogdoches Mast family) in 1999 and he spared no expenses to renovate the house; and opened the house as a high end Bed & Breakfast hotel, open by appointment only. The Jones family still comes and stays at the Jones House B&B. The Mast family (including Mr. John Mast and Mrs. Karen Mast) still has the A T Mast spirit of preserving history here at the Jones House and keeping this fine old house open to the public.

The next morning Sylvia had to leave early. I went down to the dining room and kitchen and had coffee and a continental breakfast of banana nut muffins and yogurt. Then I checked out of the Jones House and went home.

The Roland Jones House just won the Nacogdoches annual award.
Roland Jones House, front
Jones H, side
Jones H, sign
Jones H, veranda
cotton_foam says:
Wow, what a delightful experience! This review deserves to be featured, Walter! For real!
Posted on: May 30, 2016
walterman9999 says:
Thanks Paul and Em. We waited for months for a special occasion to stay at The Jones House.
Thanks also to the Nacogdoches Mast family to invest so much money to renovate and keep history open to the public.
Posted on: May 29, 2016