The Jolly Judge

The Jolly Judge - Jolly Judge

The Jolly Judge Edinburgh Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Not so Jolly a place I Judge Sep 26, 2012
Stopped into the Jolly Judge to have a whiskey sampling. It's rather dark inside with a moody decor, and only the currencies pasted to the ceiling gave it any lively atmosphere. For a place located quite close to the Edinburgh Castle and just off the Royal Mile it doesn't seem very tourist friendly either. There is a quiet atmosphere that seems mostly like locals having a drink and some quiet conversation. There is no music here, and I don't particularly like loud bar songs blasting my eardrums with volume either, still this place could have used some life.

Nevertheless, despite my initial impressions, I was willing to give it a shot, or rather have a shot. It looked as though they had an impressive array of beers and whisky blends to choose from. I sat at a table for a while, and was ignored, so best to speak up I guess. The bartender didn't seem particularly interested in selling me on any particular brand of whisky and I found his attitude of casual indifference sort of annoying. Eventually, I decided to try a couple, and would start with an Ardbeg. The bartender grumpily told me you pay as you go along.

I had considered spending a bit of time here enjoying some whisky and maybe trying one or two of the beer brands, but really the atmosphere was so dark & quiet, coupled with unfriendly staff that I just had my taste of the Ardbeg and left. I'd give this place a miss when in Edinburg. I didn't feel welcome at all and the service bordered on rude. There are other places that probably offer a better pub experience. Do seek them out, but not here. It's not so Jolly a place I Judge!
Jolly Judge
Jolly Judge Entrance
Bar with currency pasted above
Some people quietly talking
pyrrho pyrrho
It's Oh So Quiet.... Mar 07, 2009
I like to be able to hear what people are saying if I'm in a pub. I don't want loud music, so that you have to shout in people's ears to be heard.

If you like a bit of peace and quiet - then The Jolly Judge is for you. They don't play music! They just serve drinks, and people chat to each other. My idea of a perfect pub.

Buy a drink and you can use the free Wi-Fi as well.

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals