The Ironbridge Gorge Museum

The Wharfage, Ironbridge, United Kingdom

The Ironbridge Gorge Museum Reviews

davidx davidx
10 museums - Industrial Revolution History Jul 24, 2010
Well, you can't expect to get into 10 museums for nout - can you? Why Ironbridge? The name is a bit of a giveaway but it's the world's first cast iron bridge and some would claim the birthplace of the industrial revolution. Even if you have been before, you will probably not have seen Blists Hill Industrial Town.

Some of the museums are primarily of interest to children but the bridge itself, the canal, the Iron Museum, the museums of china and of tiles are all of general interest. Writing this has made me aware of how much has changed since our last visit - I guess there's only one answer to that!

You can learn much more from the excellent website - http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/. Click on attractions and download the brochure.
seraphimkarlien seraphim…
The world's first iron bridge Nov 11, 2002
The world's first iron bridge was built in the 18th century in the town of Ironbridge, Shropshire. I went to visit when I was staying with a friend who lives in the area. I guess it was a great feat at the time, but now it doesn't look all that special. It's good to visit if you happen to be in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Nearby (and operated by the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust) we went to visit Blists Hill Victorian Town, a rebuilt 19th century town with people in Victorian costumes. When you enter, you can exchange contemporary money for 19th century coins, which I found quite confusing to use, as the largest ones don't have the largest value. It's a fun place to spend half a day.

Check Ironbridge Hotel Deals