The Imperial

Check New Delhi Hotel Deals

The Imperial New Delhi Reviews

sarah123 sarah123
A break from India in central India Oct 01, 2012
After a month spent teaching in rural India, the Imperial hotel came as a much needed bit of luxury and an amazing way to end the trip! I'm going to admit that I didn't actually pay for it myself, at a particular low point of my trip I'd rang my dad to have a moan about the accommodation an he'd offered to put me up for my final 2 nights before my flight home.

I arrived at old Delhi station at 4 in the morning, after 12 hours on an uncomfortable train, me and my friend were met by our driver and rescued from the heat by a perfectly air conditioned 4x4, cold flannels and bottles of cold water HEAVEN. We'd arranged an early check in so by 4.30 had arrived at the hotel, checked in and been shown to our room. After a few hours sleep we got up, had our first proper shower with hot water (something I thought I'd never have again) then headed down for breakfast, which was amazing after a month of onion chapati for breakfast, the choice of cooked breakfast and continental breakfast was over whelming.

We filled up then went down to the health spa, where we made full use of the free gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room facilities. We then went backup and had lunch, the prices were a shock as we'd been used to spending no more than 300 rupees on a meal. At the imperial prices were much more western and prices were around 1000-1500 rupee plus tax.

After a delicious lunch we went back to the health spa where I had a massage and my friend had a hair cut. My massage was over priced for what it was, you can spend far far less for one outside the hotel, but the surroundings were far supreme to ones I'd had on my travels.

We then left the hotel, walked about 2 minuets and found our self in central Delhi, around Connaught place. The lactation was brilliant, ideal for shopping, bars, restaurants etc.

as we were short of time we didn't get too see anything of any cultural value in Delhi, and we spent most of our time in the hotel.

If staying at this hotel you MUST pack smart clothes, we were asked to change before entering the Italian restaurant that we'd chosen to have dinner in, as they have a no shorts and flip flops dress code. This was hard for us to meet being back packers but we just about scraped the dress code and were allowed to eat in the VERY expensive hotel!

The staff were very polite and helpful arranging car 2 airport transfers for us (as had different flights) and were all very professional. We were always referred to as miss/ mam and sir.

And they even provided us with 2 fruit platters as they were having some building work don't to the hotel. We were given a phone line to the hotel manager and told to call if we were disturbed by the work in any way, which we weren't, however the fruit platter was warmly welcomed.

I'd recommend this hotel to everyone it's truly amazing, but not the real way to see India, it was only so appreciated by us because we'd spent a month in some truly awful accommodation. The imperial really was a slice of heaven in India for us.
Travellr Travellr
Colonial grandeur Apr 23, 2012
The Imperial is slap bang in the middle of the heart of New Delhi and offers that rare laid-back elegance that chain-hotels will struggle to. You can walk to the Connaught Place area (now called Rajiv Chowk), browse in shops in the inner circle or explore the middle circle, explore the stalls at Janpath, all pretty much by foot. The sights of Lutyen's Delhi are at hand - India Gate, North Block, South Black, Rashtrapati Bhawan and the National Museum, besides the gorgeous architecture of Central Delhi. The train station is close by and true to its spirit, the Imperial facilitates the hiring of the Back & Yellow cabs - the real Delhi taxi. For dinner, head to the romantic little Italian food restaurant tucked away in a corner of the hotel - San Gimignano - if its a good weather, as for a table outside and you will be transported with the quiet beauty of the places. Needless to add, the food is excellent as is the selection of wines. Expect all the mod cons and great service .. the Imperial is an expensive indulgence but worth every cent (or penny or paisa)!
ecmason ecmason
Nice, but expensive May 10, 2010
The Imperial was very nice, but a bit overpriced. The linens and the bed were extremely comfortable. And the decor of the hotel seemed almost like being in a museum. I thought for what I was paying, I should have had a better view and a bigger bathtub. The room also had kind of a cold feel to it. Once again, it was very nice but didn't feel like some place you could just crash at the end of the day.

The Imperial Overview

Considered by many to be the top property in New Delhi and recently voted one of the top hotels in Asia, guests will enjoy the luxurious setting, attention to detail, as well as the convenient location to a number of Delhi attractions. Rooms are appointed to a high standard, while still evoking the colonial charm for which the hotel is known. MP0608Imperial rooms are the lead-in rooms and are medium to large in size and in excellent condition. Rooms are decorated in luxurious British colonial style and feature satellite television, standing wardrobe, writing desk, mini-bar and daily newspaper. Bathrooms are in excellent condition, with marble bathtub, rain shower and Fragonard toiletries. Imperial rooms are the lead-in rooms and are medium to large in size and in excellent condition. Rooms are decorated in luxurious British colonial style and feature satellite television, standing wardrobe, writing desk, mini-bar and daily newspaper. Bathrooms are in excellent condition, with marble bathtub, rain shower and Fragonard toiletries. Located in the middle of eight landscaped acres in the very heart of Delhi, just steps away from the shopping stalls along Janpath Avenue. Connaught Place is also minutes away. The property features a number of dining choices, including a renown Indian speciality restaurant, an Italian restaurant with private garden and a French speciality with indoor seating, or outdoor seating on the veranda overlooking the gardens. A restored 1930's Victorian-style building, included in the original planning of the city of New Delhi. The property is surrounded by acres of landscaped gardens with an outdoor pool. The lobby is medium in size and leads on to the various dining establishments, as well as shops and other facilities.

The Imperial Amenities