The Imperial War Museum

London, England

The Imperial War Museum London Reviews

mistere mistere
One of city's best museums Jun 22, 2011
The Imperial War Museum is situated in the very heart of London and is very distinctive with two huge 15 inch ship guns lining its grounds.

The museum contains many exhibits from the first and second world wars, as well as special exhibits too. When I went they had special exhibits on the holocaust and Caribbean soldiers during the second world war. The exhibits are laid out in lots of different ways so noone should find it boring! There are pictures, models, films and you can even get into some of the vehicles!

This is a great place to go to see a massive insight into 20th century British military history. One of the great things about it is that it has free admission. You may however need to pay to see some of the special exhibitions.

As for getting there you can either go by bus, or you can get on the tube and get off at Lambeth North or Elephant & Castle stations! It is only a short walk from the either!

If you are looking for a good museum in London then this is the place for you!
Jenayr Jenayr
Free Museum! Jul 11, 2011
The Imperial War Museum is a must for anyone interested in history. I spent at least 3 hours in here and was not bored once! It is very interesting and imformative.

When you first walk in you think that it is in fact very small, but once you walk past the planes and tanks used in WW1 and WW2 there is a stair well at the back which takes you over several floors and covers all different areas from woman war artists to the events post 1945.

They also show film screenings and have a seperate area for kids, Classic War Stories for Kids.

There is an area where you can start at pre 1914 and the exhibition takes you through all the world events from then to the current day with all different types of memorabilia and all the relevant information available to keep you interested.

There is a seperate Holocaust area which I knew I shouldn't have went into but I did, I lasted 2 minutes and had to leave!! It upsets me too much!

There is also a well stocked shop with a variety of books for sale and memorabilia.

The Museum is easy to get to also, you can either take the tube to Elephant and Castle and on the exit there are signs directing you there or take any bus to Elephant and Castle and there will be signs to direct you.

There are also donation buckets which I did contribute to as it is a fantastic museum and I would recommend it to anyone.
matthew matthew
The Imperial war Museum Mar 24, 2009
There's an excellent amount of history and content on show within the building, but it's frickin' huge! Take at least a day to see it properly.

The basement floor contains an artificial trench WWI, and a Blitz Experience from WWII. Upstairs you can find the inventive Holocaust Experience.

By the entrance you can find Tanks, Planes etc on show. It really is quite fascinating. Be warned that term-time can get busy with the flocks of adolescent school children on a day trip away from the classroom. I remember going in those more youthful years long gone!

I'll see if I can find some photos. (I noticed this review was left pretty half-heartedly unfinished - procrastination grabs me sometimes)

Related Travel Blogs About The Imperial War Museum

18 Days til I Fly...
I can't believe it's come around so quickly... It feels like only yesterday I was sitting in the office looking at flights and umming and aahing about my decision to leave the UK.  I've lived in…Imperial War MuseumLondon Town has amazing views along the Thames and exquisite architecture such as the Parliament buildings…
A Day Without Food
Originally posted Wednesday, October 11, 2006 on MySpace Today is Wednesday, and I'm goin' to be yammerin' about Sunday.  I'm so behind..... and I don't care.Sunday we slept in.... until 9:30.&…Imperial War Museum in London.  Yes, on the website for the SA military museum it does ramble a bit about…
London's finest feature: free museums!
Once again we started the day with big plans to see LOTS of things in London. And once again, we were foiled by one really excellent museum, where we ended up spending the whole day. It was a really …Imperial War Museum. Next we walked on towards the Tower Bridge , built in the 1890s. This is kind of a London

Check London Hotel Deals