The Hotel Dwarika's

Nepal

The Hotel Dwarika's Reviews

flaircandy flaircan…
Oct 14, 2012
It was a bit tiring going to different airports and riding different flights. Although, it also feels awesome that I am able to do this!

After a tiring trip, I usually book a hotel that’s very comfortable so I can rest well for my next set of activities in my itinerary. This time, we were booked at Hotel Dwarika’s and we got more than just the comfort I needed, we got so much more!

Our hotel was booked via Agoda.com and Himalayas Encounters. This hotel is a heritage boutique hotel. Although they say it’s boutique, it has about 80 rooms as of to date.

The History of Dwarika’s and the Passion to Preserve Culture

This hotel is very rich in story. Hotel Dwarika’s was built because of a fortunate accident, or we call it Serendipity

The founder of the hotel, the late Dwarika Das Shrestha found that over the times, Nepalese people would destroy old houses and use the old wooden carvings as firewood. Mr. Dwarikas thought it was sad that this was being done and started to collect parts from the buildings demolished, particularly the windows. In turn of the salvaged parts, he gave the men new lumber.

He displayed his collection in his house and found that many people come over to see it. With that, he thought of buying a land that was then all grassland and a bit far from the city center. Today, Kathmandu already expanded and Hotel Dwarikas is now situated at a nice place in the city.

He envisioned this new guest house would allow more people to appreciate Nepal’s ancient cultural history, giving the restored treasures a new lease of life. Now, the Dwarika’s hotel is not only some place where the guests could stay, it’s also a living museum boasting of a rich Nepali heritage.

Read more: http://www.flaircandy.com/2012/10/dwarikas-hotel-in-kathmandu-nepal-indulging-in-the-nepali-culture/
Nepal Map