The Hill Club

The Hill Club Rates and Deals

The Hill Club Nuwara Eliya Reviews

edregin edregin
Awesome stay in the highlands Jan 23, 2011
Whenever I travel to Srilanka I normally stay in Colombo (the nearest & the cheapest place we could go for R & R holiday from here), but this time my cousin (who flew from Dubai), Yvonne and I wants to spend few days together in Srilanka's outskirts for a change.

DESTINATION: Nuwara Eliya (a place in Srilanka which is 2000m above sea level, and so the cold climate). Being called "The Little England in Srilanka" we decided to book this hotel because Yvonne insisted we'll stay here to have a European feel and we we're convinced!

It's a 06hr drive by train from Colombo. As the train station at Nuna Oya is around 20kms away from the town, we hired a private van to reach the hotel (I couldn't remember how much did we pay but I know it wasn't too expensive as there were the three of us who were sharing for the fare). I love the location. Not too far/near from the places you would want to go, I thought it was just perfect location for all the scenery I could take photos of.

As I stepped on the hotel's premise, it made me feel lucky that the room was available at the time we did the booking. The lovely messages pinned on at the guest's comment board (which was displayed at the reception area) sounded good...and the way the staff attended to us, right then and there we knew our holiday will gracefully end. Does first impression lasts?! Oh yes! :D

The room was just of the right size (we had three single beds in the room but it didn't seem to be cramped), it has a fireplace (didn't use it when we were there but we were given hot bottles of water instead), a TV, fridge, a bathroom with a bathtub. Just an average room for a comfortable sleep, and I've got nothing to complain.

The food is good but little expensive (well hotel prices are always higher than from the outside of course!) The food selection during breakfasts is alright here. Hmmmm...for the days that we stayed here we only take our complimentary breakfast. We tried meals from other restaurants & nearby hotels (although we tried to have a dinner here one night - Note: Dinner here has to be on formal attire! Yes, boys has to wear a suit and it is a must!) I hope this won't hesitate you on reserving a room here :D

Our overall stay at this hotel was great. We never had issues with them and we loved the professional staff here. We really felt the personalized service they have extended for us and their other guests (probably because they're used to providing this kind of service for the members of the club - glad they allowed to open it for paying guests). We're thankful we had the share of a very special experience, a pleasure indeed!

Anyway, if you love the kind of a private atmosphere in a hotel, then I would say in Nuwaya Eliya this is your hotel! :D
Closer look of the Hotel
The Restaurant
The Library
Hallway to the rooms
edregin says:
I know..Well it's alright, there is an option though not to wear a suit (and that's to eat outside or have inroom service, hehe'), we prefer to have the dinner at the hotel's restaurant so we can tease my cousin on his suit :D (Just don't know if they still practice this till now) :D
Posted on: Jan 24, 2011
bernard69 says:
wearing a suit on holidays isn't a must for me:)
Posted on: Jan 24, 2011

The Hill Club Overview

This historic hotel was built in 1876 and offers 44 rooms, with 2 suites and 3 family rooms spread over 2 floors. Guests are welcomed in the foyer with a 24-hour reception desk, a hotel safe and a currency exchange counter. Additionally, 2 cafes, 2 bars, a games room and a restaurant are available for dining, drinking and gaming options. The hotel also offers 2 public Internet terminals with wireless connection (WLAN) and those arriving at the hotel by car may take advantage of the hotel car parking facilities. Laundry, room and medical services round off the facilities on offer. American Express, MasterCard and VISA are all accepted methods of payment. Guests are offered buffets for breakfast, lunch and evening meals. Lunch and dinner may alternatively be chosen from a set menu. Guests may book either half pension or full pension. The comfortable rooms come with an en suite bathroom (bath/shower/WC), TV, Internet access, minibar, double bed or king-size bed, central heating and a hire safe. This hotel is located in Nuwara Eliya, in the Sri Lankan hills, surrounded by lush green vegetation. Within 5 km, guests will arrive at a lake and restaurants. Links to the public transport network are 2 km from the hotel and the nearest train station is around 8 km away.

The Hill Club Amenities

• High-speed Internet
  • Restaurant
  • Dry Cleaning
  • TV
  • Laundry service
  • Internet Connection (wireless)

Check The Hill Club Rates and Deals