The Heritage Trail

Salts Mill, Saltaire, United Kingdom

The Heritage Trail Saltaire Reviews

spidermiss spidermi…
The Heritage Trail Apr 24, 2017
I picked up the village's Heritage Trail guide from Bradford Visitor Information Centre some time ago. I had an afternoon to explore the village, listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I accessed the village from the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. I firstly had a look round Robert Parks and the River Aire and bypassing the Salts Mill and 1853 Gallery (I've visited the Mill a number of times before) and checked out the United Reform Church (built in 1859). The Grade I listed building is nestled between the railway station and the canal.

The visit coincided with World Heritage weekend and there was a pop up cafe (where I stopped for refreshments) and exhibition which displayed stories consolidating the village's heritage status. From the church I continued up the trail visiting its unique housing and almhouses. The former hospital is now Titus Salt apartments. Some of the former buildings host Shipley College.

After the walk I enjoyed an afternoon tea at Jeanette's Cakery, a very popular and busy vintage tea room on the main road. After tea I caught the bus to Leeds. A tip for getting to know Saltaire on foot!
Listed UNESCO World Heritage Stie
Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Saltaire
Roberts Park, Saltaire
Saltaire United Reformed Church
Toonsarah says:
I never knew Saltaire (which I've heard of but not visited) was a World Heritage Site!
Posted on: Apr 25, 2017

Compare Bradford Hotel Rates (6km away)

The Heritage Trail Map