The Haight District

San Francisco, California

The Haight District San Francisco Reviews

amkaestner amkaestn…
Jun 14, 2007
Well the hippies have arrives, and permanently reside in this fun location of San Francisco. It is surrounded by historical moments, and is a time capsul of the 70s. You still see your occasional stoner, but dont mind him...he probably is my neighbor. :)

The haight is a greta location for eats, and fun.

First start off at Magnolia's at teh corner of Masonic and Haight. One of the great hang outs for the locals. Some nights there is open mic, which is always a blast. Try the local beer, they dont sell anything but there own. But believe me...it is amazing. I recommend the Kalifornia Kolsh, Proving Ground, IPA, and if in season the Saison du Lily(my favorite).Also the food is amazing. They sell only organic meals, and promote local farms within the bay area.

Than stroll down to The Best of Thai. One of the few places where you can get some good Thai food at 4am. Trust me, after a few drinks, food is always a plus.

Cross the street and you will see cocomos! This place has the best Tom Collins by far in the city. If you ar strolling on Sunday Night stop in and hear soem live Bossa Nova. The singer is from San Pao, and she is wonderful.

Walk down and you will hit Haight Ashbury. Stand and take a picture. If you look up the street, south, you will see where the greatful dead once resided.

Keep walking down and you will find Fat Slice. Good pizza, and cheap. Also on the same street there is the gold cane. Always good for string drinks and a local crowd. In the back there is a patio where you are allowed to smoke. Helpful to those who reside in this health cautious city.

Now you will hit Haight and Clayton. Across the street is Ben and Jerrys. Get a cherry Garcia, if the day is warm, and sunny.

And on the other corner, you will find Habsons Choice. Best Rum bar in the city. They have two delicious punches that are always worth a try. You might not think there is much rum, but after two you will come to realize that there is a huge kick to it.

Right next dor is ASKEW. Great place to eat and also cheap. I recommend the polenta, and the fish. Also their dessert is amazing!

Now you will end up on Cole and Haight. A definite must is the new bar called Alembic! Its a whiskey and bourbon house. Owned by teh same people as Magnolias the drinks are amazing and food is devine. Ask for a vespa, and get the duck risotto. This is a tapas place so a few plates are a great idea to share.

Up the street you have Kazaman. A hooka spot that is fun! On weekend you will see great performances, and belly dances. Food i also wonderful, but I recommend just the hookas and the warm wine.

Across the street is Citrus Club. It is a great place for inexpensive prices. I recommend the garlic beef and mushrooms, also the garlic edamame. The plates are huge so do share.

The Mexican place on the corner of shrader and haight is probably the only place where I would eat mexican food outside the mission. The only problem that it closes early, but for thsoe who are roaming around try sometime.

And than the famous cha cha chas! Best sangria and lots of fun. The staff is great and have very funny stories to tell. Best cuban fusion I ahve had outside of Miami.

Well I love my haight...so stop by sometime.:)

Dont worry about the hippies, they are always in a peace and love mood.

May the past of San Fracisco be the memories you want to have.

Peace:)
travelman727 says:
I went back to Haight-Ashbury last year :-) I still love the place; I guess I'm a hippie wannabe at heart :-D
Posted on: Jun 29, 2009
travelman727 says:
Thanks for your fantastic review! I spent some time in your amazing Haight-Ashbury in the late 1980s. It seems like little has changed except time :-D
Posted on: Jun 19, 2007
Eric says:
Cool review! I used to live in Berkeley but never really checked out this area of SF.
Posted on: Jun 14, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About The Haight District

Arrival in San Francisco
I just wanna write a few words about "frisco"...this was my 3rd time in that beautiful city..I remember that the first time i visited san francisco, I was kinda disappointed. I expected a BIG city ..…san francisco. Haight Street, Castro District, the Bay area, Sausalito, Alamo Square... "One day if I do go to heaven…
Haight-Ashbury District
The Haight-Ashbury's elaborately detailed, 19th-century multi-story wooden houses became a haven for hippies during the 1960s, due to the availability of cheap rooms and vacant properties for rent or…Haight-Ashbury's elaborately detailed, 19th-century multi-story wooden houses became a haven for hippies during the 1960s, due to the availability of cheap rooms and vacant properties…
San Francisco Marathon 2006
Five years of college, and finally graduated in May 2006.  After I graduated I had to study for my professional board exam while working full-time.  All those days of studying for midterms …Haight and Ashbury district, Mission district, and made a full circle back to AT&T park, home of the San Francisco

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals