The Guilded Iguana Hotel

Nosara, Costa Rica
www.thegildediguana.com - Tel: (506) 2682-0450 / 2682-0259
The Guilded Iguana Hotel - Nearby, inland.
The Guilded Iguana Hotel - The beach nearby.
The Guilded Iguana Hotel - Inland, flowering tree.
The Guilded Iguana Hotel - My room was the bottom right one.

Check Nosara Hotel Deals

The Guilded Iguana Hotel Nosara Reviews

Torontoman Torontom…
Cute Independent well run hotel Apr 23, 2011
The Gilded Iguana is a moderate hotel in Playa Guiones, Costa Rica. The general area is often referred to as Nosara which is actually the name of a nearby town.

Moving in land from the ocean there is a protected area meaning there is no development (permanent structures) within 200 meters if the high tide line. After that you are basically in the jungle so development is in the cleared out area close to the roads. Along one of these roads you'll find the Gilded Iguana. It a privately owned hotel managed by a Canadian woman and the staff are local.

The rooms are spartan, spacious, furnished with the basics, and come equipped with hot water and a small refrigerator. Coffeemakers can be provided upon request. Half are air conditioned and half are not. Not really as issue as it usually cools down to about the low 70's in the evening and there are louvered windows with screens and ceiling fans.

Where the hotel excels is in the bar / restaurant area. Great food and drinks and if you give then a credit card number you can sign for them. There is wi-fi in that area where we watched the Canada US final hockey 2010 Winter Olympic game. The hotel bar is packed on Tuesdays and Fridays with locals, other hotels guests and live music.

The majority of tourists in this area are Canadian or American. The best reason to come here is for the surfing. There are a lot of nearby surfing schools and the view as the sun sets is spectacular. The water is always tepid. Local trips such as zip lining, canopy tours, kayaking, and fishing can be booked through the hotel and yoga classes abound in the nearby area.

A note on getting here. The nearest International airport is in Liberia. More flights fly into the capital San Jose but thats 5 1/2 hours away. Local flights are available from either airport to Nosara. Otherwise you'll need to either shuttle, take a taxi, or rent a car at the Liberia Airport and drive the 2 1/2 hours to Nosara. I chose the car rental as I wanted to drive around the area. The roads are bad - most of the country is unpaved. The travel guides recommend a SUV especially in the wet season. I thought I could get by with a Toyota Carolla as I was visiting in the dry season. I was wrong. The pot holes are so big and abundant that as careful as I was I ruined the car's exhaust system and drove around with a rattle for the week Fortunately, I chose to take all the insurance available and there was no problem upon returning my car. This is not the place to rely on your gold card coverage.

I met lots of people here and as I was traveling solo I was on the look out for friends. Met a young couple from nearby Ontario who had been there once before and showed me the ropes. It's a friendly safe area. Kinda of quiet if you don't surf. The weather was perfect in November.

The best web site for information on Nosara - http://www.visitnosara.com/
My room was the bottom right one.
Inland, flowering tree.