The Greater Blue Mountains

Australian Capital Territory, Australia

The Greater Blue Mountains Reviews

rcpilgrim rcpilgrim
Easy day trip from Sydney May 22, 2012
The Greater Blue Mountains are a protected UNESCO World Heritage Site on the eastern side of Australia. They are just west of Sydney and make a great day trip. I spent two days on antique steam engine trains riding through the ranges. The area is protected for it's biodiversity, particularly for the amounts and varieties of Eucalyptus trees. There is ongoing research being done here and they have recently discovered trees that were thought to be extinct for two billion years. Several species that are contained in the mountains can be dated back to the dinosaur days.
Lozza_v says:
There are definitely moments when I feel the need to slap myself. Just finished up for the night spotlighting and we saw sugar gliders, frogs, greater gliders and a tawny frogmouth nightjar. Not bad aye!
Make sure you come back! So much more of Oz to see :)
Posted on: Feb 20, 2013
rcpilgrim says:
Thanks Lozza! Running amok in the mountains and forest doesn't sound like work, it sounds like Heaven. I would love to go back someday.
Posted on: Feb 20, 2013
Lozza_v says:
I feel totally spoilt reading this. I am working-if you can call it that- in the Blue Mountains doing ecological surveys, so basically running amok through the mountains :) Some of the most beautiful memories I have come from sunsets over the pagodas, absolutely stunning!
I always find it so surreal when people travel from around the globe to see what's in my back yard. Glad you have experienced it, and enjoyed it!
Posted on: Feb 19, 2013