The Great Western

029 2035 3990

The Great Western Cardiff Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Nearest bar to Cardiff Central Station Dec 21, 2011
There is no bar in Cardiff Central Station, so your best shot at a half pint when you’re early for your train is the Great Western pub.

This is a Wetherspoons pub. For non Brits, Wetherspoons is a large chain of cheap pubs which have nice beer on tap, mediocre but perfectly acceptable food that tastes suspiciously microwaved but costs less than a fiver, and very cheap drinks. In short, they are pretty much exactly what you want from a place where you’re grabbing a quick drink on your way to a train. The outside of the building is interesting but the inside looks a lot like every other wetherspoons in the country. In the day time, when I went, it was perfectly pleasant. The staff were fast and friendly and the drinks were fine (and a lot better than the slightly warm lager on the trains). But, as a word of caution, the glasses were plastic. This is not usually a good sign – plastic glasses are generally the mark of a bar that is working with the local police to reduce the number of injuries from broken glass at night, although that is not always true. I am not *completely* convinced I would want to go to this particular bar after maybe 8pm on a Friday night, although if any locals want to tell me that I am completely wrong I’d be happy.
davidx says:
I didn't try this one but in general I found that Wetherspoon pubs in Cardiff left little room for complaint
Posted on: Dec 23, 2011