Great Ocean Road, Australia

The Great Ocean Road Reviews

nabimeister nabimeis…
Magnificent view with stunning drive Jun 28, 2015
The Great Ocean Road is long, windy coastal road with the blue/green/turquoise ocean on one side and mountains on the other. Of coarse it's magnificent. This is the main tourist attraction in Victoria. Firstly, the drive itself is quite an experience. People who like to drive like myself would definitely have a great time driving. The passengers can enjoy hours of spectacular view of the coast out the window which changes by every turn. There are coastal towns, lookouts, waterfalls and other attractions on the way.

Lorne is my most favorite coastal town. It has some great restaurants, nice walks along the beach with a wide beach to relax and sunbathe. All of these beautiful beaches are family friendly with a great laid back vibe. You can also pick any spot along the drive to park your car and spend some time in a secluded beach if that fancies you... great for a romantic stroll! The main attraction is The twelve Apostles which is roughly 4 hrs drive from Melbourne. This varies depending on how many stops you take along the way. trust me, you will stop for pictures a lot of the times on your first visit.

There are also a few other great attractions after Twelve Apostles. The London bridge, Loch Ard Gorge to name a few. You can take this scenic drive to all the way to Warrnambool.
valeria001 valeria0…
drive along the great ocean road Aug 07, 2011
Well this is my favorite getaway place away from home. The drive is breathtaking especially on a sunny day and the towns along the way especially lorne is a beautiful place to stay. I know of a great place in lorne that's cheap and the owner is so nice... my advice drive slowly because those bends on the road are sometimes dangerous so be careful and obey the traffic laws, they r enforced for a reason!!!
Great Ocean Road - Teddy's Lookout
valeria001 says:
Hey The place is called Springwood - very rustic, but cheap and just to die for view. The owner is lovely and his name is Peter Lowe and his number is 0439892698. I recommend the downstairs section - the fireplace is amazing and you can sleep up to 6 people. It is under $100 per night so its really cheap if there are a few of you... have fun and give my regards to Peter and Wilfred (his dad) who is absolutely adorable.
Posted on: Aug 21, 2011
Jesskate says:
hey whats the names of the place in Lorne you recommend?
Posted on: Aug 21, 2011
Gladdess Gladdess
Sunrise by the Great Ocean Road Sep 06, 2011
My Cousins and I drove from Coburg VIC, Australia to the Great Ocean Road, Apollo Bay from starting 4am in the morning just to see the sunrise.

Basically, we just paid for the petrol and I'm not sure if there were any toll fees as I was deadly asleep in the car after some drinks from the night.

From Google map, it states we will need around 3 hours to finish a 196km route. But, I reckon my cousin drove more than what the limit was.

Upon arriving, the time was around 630am, the line between the sky and the sea was pink in color. Excitedly, we stopped by the road side where there's a stairway to proceed down to the shore.

We came prepared with our cameras, and Coats! It was freezing and yes, we went during the winter season which was on 2nd September 2011.

We waited for minutes, the sun finally rises and within a minute, you see the full sun. The view was spectacular. It was my first time watching a sunrise and i was like a little kid jumping around snapping pictures as well.

After an hour of taking pictures and laughing, we leave for breakfast by the Apollo bay restaurant. The price for a breakfast is around A$10 - A$20 ( depending on what you order. ) *Reccommend Poach egg Bacon with toast, add on bake beans and mushrooms.

Also, I may put cheap for the cost of the whole journey because there were 4 of us in the car to share the bills.

Good luck for your trip.

Cheers
Getting ready for the sunrise.
The rocks on the shore
Sunrise!
kit615 kit615
Most beautiful scenic drive in Victoria! Nov 11, 2011
I have been to the Great Ocean Road for at least 4 times, reason being every visiting friends or relatives wanted to see it and I had to show them around.

The drive from Melbourne is easy and relaxed, although it may take up to 6-7 hours to reach the Twelve Apostles. There are many spots in between Melbourne and GOR that are worth stopping, so it is recommended if you could spend at least one night in Lorne / Apollo Bay, although I have never stay overnight there, and I wish I did, because 12 hours+ of driving is exhausting.
saritabanana saritaba…
Beautiful Day Out Sep 03, 2011
I went on the Autopia Tour of The Great Ocean Road, it was such a great day out. First stop Bells Beach...then travelled down for photos at Memorial arch and onto the lovely town of Lorne...Then we got to feed some King Parrots and see our first Koala before taking the windy road with breath taking views down to the 12 Apostles and all the way down with last stop at London Bridge. The tour started at 7.30am and we got back to Melbourne about 8.30pm. It was a full day and very reasonably priced, got the details at the tourist office in Federation Square. Definitely recommend the trip and Stephen our guide was great!
travelsurfy travelsu…
Great Ocean Road Jun 20, 2011
Well the drive from Torquay along the great ocean road is amazing. Amazing scenery and fantastic surf if your willing to put some time into searching. Some amazing places to stay with a night in Apollo Bay really nice location
abe30 abe30
DONT MISS IT WHILE YOU IN VIC!!! Jun 03, 2011
it is absolutely great place to visit while being in melbourne. The sight attraction is amazing. It is mostly a day trip and spending a night there is also a good choice, unless its not raining lol. Once you're in melb, just dont miss it.
Airportman Airportm…
Beautiful drive along the coastline of South Australia Aug 24, 2009
This was a tour both Martin and I wanted to do. I had seen it on the tv and heard from other people how beautiful it was.

The day started sunny, but windy. So we packed an extra jacket and sweater with us, in case it would be too cold along the way.

We were picked up by a tourbus, that brought us to a gathering point where we found a mini van which was our transportation for the day.

The first stop was for coffee at the town of Torquay. After that we made a stop at Bells Beach, where we saw surfers enjoying high waves.

Eventually we stopped at the starting point of the Great Ocean Road, a sign over the road. We also made a stop at Kennett River, where the tourguide took us to see if we could spot wild koalas and other wildlife, like birds.

The last stop before lunch was at Maits Rest Rainforest, where we had a short walk through the rainforest. Lunch was at a roadside restaurant at Otway Junction where we had a meat pie and chips.

After lunch, we drove towards the 12 Apostles, where we had some 30 minute to look and walk around the place. Then we drove towards the Loch Ard Gorge where we saw the gorge, as well as the Razorback and the Island Arch. Here Martin and I did the 3 walks in the short time of 45 minutes. That was the time we had to spend there.

Our final stop, before the long drive back to Melbourne, was at London Bridge, a natural formed bridge.

The trip was quite expensive, 302 AUS dollars (around 225 euros or around 298 US dollars) for the 2 of us, but included transportation, lunch and entree fees. It was more then worth it, as we both enjoyed a day driving and walking in beautiful sceneries.

The weather during the day had turned from sunny to cloudy, with the wind really picking up along the coast. It made the scenery and the pictures that more wonderful in my opinion.
Bells Beach
Riding the wave
The beginning of the Great Ocean R…
Wild Koala

Related Travel Blogs About The Great Ocean Road

The Great Ocean Road
Such a good weekend! I will put up pics one day!It started off after sleeping in on saturday morning but we eventually all got up and the boys went and picked up the rental car. Long story short Donn…great ocean road at first. We went a back faster way to Port Campbell which is the end of the Great
Great Ocean Road Tripping
  Great Ocean Road trip this long weekend?           View larger image   …Great Ocean Road this long weekend. It'll be a road trip this one, in my spanking…
The Great Ocean Road
Although some may argue that the heart of Australia lies in its east and northeastern regions, its southern side is not to be overlooked.  Just west of Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road is an in…Great Ocean Road is made up of jagged ocean cliffs and small towns along the way.  Amongst…

Compare Wattle Hill Hotel Rates (5.2km away)

Great Ocean Road Map