The Grape & Olive

029 2061 7054

The Grape & Olive Swansea Reviews

hannah_thoms hannah_t…
Best Views in Wales, Beautiful Food, Terrible service. Jan 05, 2011
The Grape & Olive is a newly opened 'modern mediterranean' restaurant, at the top of the tallest building in Wales-Meridian Tower in Swansea Marina. Eating, while twenty-eight floors above ground is somewhat of a big deal in Wales, with great restaurants few and far between, I was expecting something a little more from this much anticipated restaurant. The service here is appauling, I understand it is a new business and it would take a while for people to get into the swing of things, but the staff here don't seem to care at all. We ate here on a quiet Sunday evening, there were about ten people in total at the Restaurant, yet we waited fifteen minutes to receive a menu, then a further thirty-five minutes to receive our drinks, until I went to the bar and got them myself. There were very few members of staff on the floor to be able to ask. Meals here average about £15 a meal, a glass of coke about £1.80, and desserts and starters around £5-8 each. The food was delicious, I had honey basted chicken with roast veg which was beautiful but not very hot. It took a while for our plates to be cleared, and we were never asked if we would like more drinks. The atmosphere was not very welcoming as none of the staff seemed interested in making your visit a memorable one. Other customers around the restaurant were also visibly displeased at the lack of care or service, with many others waiting on drinks or bills.

The views at night are superb, being able to see across mumbles bay and the whole of Swansea.

I do believe that this restaurant is relying too much on the views as an attraction for visitors, more than the food and atmosphere. Once you've seen it, there really isn't any great need to visit again as nothing else is very special about it. If it were not twenty-eight floors above ground I would not recommend it to anyone. Just visit once for the views!
londonstudent says:
I hate tepid food - even if the service was better, that would quite spoil the experience for me!
Posted on: Jan 08, 2011