The Grand Island (Munising) Range Lights
The Grand Island (Munising) Range Lights Reviews
The Grand Island (Munising) Range Lights Jul 12, 2009
Grand Island shelters the natural safe harbor at Munising, Michigan, from brutal seas kicked up by late season Lake Superior storms. The Grand Island (Munising) Range Lights mark the narrow passage on the east side of the island and differ from traditional lighthouses. Designed to work as a pair, front and rear lights provide a safe path of travel when aligned by mariners at sea. The original Munising Range Lights began operation in 1868 and were replaced by the current structures in 1908.
The front range light is easily seen on Highway M-28 about three blocks from downtown on the west side of Munising. Its two story light-keeper's house once served as headquarters for the U.S. Coast Guard in Munising but has since had ownership transferred to the U.S. Park Service and currently serves as an office building. The steel 58-foot white conical tower houses a fixed red light which is still maintained by the Coast Guard. Its focal plane is 79 feet above the Lake Superior water level .
The rear range light also shines red - from the window of a steel 33-foot white conical tower. It sits on a wooded hillside at the end of nearby Hemlock Street. It has a focal plane of 107 feet above the lake. Both lights use locomotive-type headlamp bulbs. When aligned on Lake Superior, the Munising Range Lights have a downrange visibility of 19 miles.
Part of the list Lighthouses
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!