The Goose Freehouse.

www.stonegatepubs.com/goose-… - +00 44 (0)1843 855110

The Goose Freehouse. Ramsgate Reviews

planxty planxty
Not exactly golden, but a Goose nonetheless. Sep 25, 2017
On my ramble round Ramsgate I came upon the Goose pub which bills itself as a "traditional free house" and is anything but for reasons I shall explain now.

The Goose is huge and is run completely along the lines of the big conglomerates that now seem to have a virtual monopoly on the licensed trade in the UK. It was most certainly not built as a pub and the fact that it is owned by a group called Sonegate pubs calls into question somewhat it's freehouse status although it is somewhat of a point of discussion as to what technically is a freehouse and what is popularly preceived as one.

I cannot say they duped me in any way as I could see exactly what type of establishment it was by looking through the large front windows as if the offers on ludicrously cheap alcohol on the sandwich boards outside obviously aimed at the "freshers" from nearby academic institutions. These were of the Jagerbomb variety and obviously designed to get teenagers as smashed as quickly and cheaply as possible. This may be morally questionable and certainly debatable but I had chosen to visit Ramsgate on a Monday afternoon off-season specifically as I knew the town would be quiet and so it had proved.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with this style of food and beverage sales except insofar and it is inevitably contributing to the demise of the more traditional pubs which I love. That said, I am quite happy to have a good selection of brews available and decent (if not exactly haute cuisine) food available at reasonable prices and the Goose certainly meets those criteria.

When I went in, eyes wide open, it was exactly as I had thought with huge plasma TV screens showing various sporting events everywhere, fairly basic decor and with a nod to a local feel provided by a few pictures of a few celebrities with a vague local connection Notably there was one who had a very close connection to the town, the (mostly) comic actor John Le Mesurier who is probsbly best known for this portrayal of Sgt. Wilson in the huge TV comedy Dad's Army. Bearing in mind that he died of a complaint brought on by his lifetime of heavy drinking I think that the apparently charming man with a bit of a penchant for a tipple would have enjoyed that. I literally and metaphorically raised a glass to him.

Speaking of glasses I should mention the drink selection. I had visited in the middle of a several week long real ale and cider festival and there was certainly an excellent selection. I am a cider man myself and was spoilt for choice which is hardly surprising given that Kent is one of the major apple producing regions in the UK with a long tradition of cider making. So what did I do next? No more than order a pint of mango cider! I kid you not, mango cider. I have drunk some odd cider brews in my time but had never had this before so a pint was smartly pulled by the friendly young lady behind the bar. In truth, it was way too sweet for my palate but I had to try it and have now worked out the art of mixing it 50/50 with a really dry apple cider when it tastes just great.

The entire bar was very clean and tidy, including the "facilities" when I had to use them. I do like to mention accessibility issues when I can and the entire premises are completely accessible with a dedicated disabled toilet so top marks for that. I shall not go into all the rest of the facilities as I know that this site does not really like us mentioning things that are availble on the website (hopefully attached here somewhere).

A look at the menu showed a decent selection of offerings of the usual chain pub variety and reasonably priced but I did not eat as I was dining elsewhere that evening. What I will say is that, if you are on a tight budget, look for the days specials. They have a "pint and a pie" day", "big plate specials day" where you can get a selection of full meals for less than £5 and so on.

OK, I would much rather sit in a comfy Chesterfield by an inglenook fire and looking out a mullioned window at a duckpond beside the village green somewhere but the Goose is what it is. Perhaps it wouldn't be my choice late on a Friday night with a bunch of drunken kids in it but I can have no complaint with the place at all. I had a couple of decent pints well kept and quickly served by a charming member of staff in very comfortable surroundings and left happy so I can do nothing else other than recommend it.
planxty says:
I am only prolific because I am retired and have nothing else to do all day! Thanks all the same, it is much appreciated.
Posted on: Oct 04, 2017
vicIII says:
Fergy, you are a prolific travel writer I must say... Good for you!:)
Posted on: Oct 01, 2017