The Glass House

108 Holman St, Ihlen, MN, USA

The Glass House Ihlen Reviews

craigb05 craigb05
Great Food and Atmosphere at a Great Price Feb 25, 2015
*The Glass House has reopened under new ownership. I cannot comment on what the place is like now. This review is a couple of years old, hopefully it will stay true!

When I finalized my trip to Split Rock Creek State Park, just south of Ihlen, I wanted to check out what the local area had to offer. Wherever I travel I like to make sure I eat at local restaurants. Since I was camping, I knew I only needed one meal outside of the usual camping food. After not seeing what I was looking for in the bigger towns in the area, I decided to check out Ihlen. Lo and Behold I found some reviews of the Glass House. Everything seemed very positive. I made the plan to eat there on Tuesday, but when I arrived the sign out front said "Closed Monday and Tuesday." So I pushed it back a day and had lunch there on Wednesday, since it is around a mile from the park.

Upon walking in it is easy to see that this place has been around awhile and has some great character. The seats are solid and so are the tables, everything seems to be original from the opening. One wall of the dining area is full of mirrors, make the room look bigger than it actually is and it is pretty neat. I didn't head into the bar, so I have no comment on that side of the the Glass House.

Our waitress greeted us with a huge smile and was very polite. There is a sign outside that says they proudly serve 1919 Root Beer. After a day of Kayaking and Hiking it was hard to turn down a mug of that. Everything on the menu was very reasonably priced and there specials are great. I was able to get a burger and fries for pretty cheap and my friend ordered the Wednesday special: 1/4 Broasted Chicken with Fries and two pieces of Texas Toast. That was even cheaper than my burger. The food was made promptly and done right. There was no rushing while making the food. The portions were bigger than expected and the taste was out of this world. There are very few places in Minnesota where a burger has made my eyes pop open, and this is now one of them. My friends Chicken was absolutely perfect.

The checks came out to be pretty darn cheap and we were given mints with our tabs. They do accept credit and check cards, which is very nice. The staff was very friendly and our waitress even commented on how polite we were.

This place was found on a whim, but it will always be a staple when I am traveling through Southwest Minnesota!
The Glass House
spocklogic says:
A Clear review!
Posted on: Apr 22, 2014
vances says:
Glad the Glass House didn't turn out to be a real pane!

:^)
Posted on: Sep 10, 2013
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Sep 10, 2013