The Glass Beach Fort Bragg California

End of Elm Street Fort Bragg CA, Fort Bragg, CA, USA

The Glass Beach Fort Bragg California Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
dubbed as top ten amazing & unique beaches in the world! Aug 08, 2015
I am into beach combing! Not just the ordinary beaches, however. I like those that are unique. Dubbed as top ten fantastic & unique beaches in the world is the Glass Beach in Fort Bragg California! Did I just read it right? California? I've better go and see it! The town is just six hours drive and about four hundred miles away from where we live. It is a very doable road trip for a weekend getaway.

Why is Glass Beach so amazing? It is amazing because the entire beach is a spread out shimmering broken pieces of glass that do not hurt the foot even a bit when step on it! Seriously, the story behind is what fascinates me more: a tale of forgiveness.

A very long time ago (the early 1900s) the location of where the Glass Beach now was also the site for dumping all kinds of trash of the coastal town; Fort Bragg. Trash like broken appliances, bottles, and even cars were all thrown in the waterfront. When it overflowed then, residents created another dumping site again but always along the coast. Well, I have seen Fort Bragg, and it is just a tiny seaside town. That means; when a strong wind from the oceanfront blows into the town, what is the natural outcome? It is not the scent of an ocean breeze neither a fresh air from the sea. If piles and piles of garbage are in that seaside, everyone knows how stinky the air is. It is so foul odor that it sticks even to the underwear.

So, what did the community do to solve their dilemma? Yes, thank God; they stopped throwing trash to the town's waterfronts. They did not only refrain from dumping garbage but also; they started a massive campaign to clean up. Today, these areas that were once mountains of rubbish are now clean beach coves and crystal clear beaches. Furthermore, the surprising thing? The people of Fort Bragg experienced a forgiveness! Not only have they enjoyed fresh air now. Also, nature has its way to recognize the communities' effort by sweeping back those lovely multi-colored chips of wave-tumbled glass from those very dumps onto their beaches. They are so beautiful that I call them "precious sea jewels!"

There are three coves to check out these frosted glass chips, but we only explored two beaches at two different times of the day; at noon time and in the late afternoon before sunset. Our first visit was at one of the former garbage dumping sites where remnants of old sewers are still present. This spot is scraggy; rusty metals and broken bottles are protruding from the soil. When it is high tide, these buried broken bottles continue to get tumbled by waves.

The other beach cove is below a cliff; beach bums have to descend a stairway to get to the seafront. This particular spot is gazillions of glistening polished glass chips spread the entire shore. The seashore is not that long, though, but still, very amusing. We stayed there for as long as we desired. The truth is we did not want to leave. There are numbers of a group of people by the ocean front, and like us they are also astonished of the prettiest object there is.

The polished glass beach is in the northernmost of MacKerricher State Park. All three glass beach sites are accessible by foot and very safe as well. There is no entrance fee, and parking is also free. Although, finding a spot to park is often a challenge. For those who will need to go before beach combing, a few portable potty is within reach. Meters away from the cliff, are also benches to sit on for those who love to watch the sunset and the seascapes.

Like all other parks governed by California State Parks, this beach is protected. Bringing home some glass chips are a no, no! Not even a piece. It does make sense to prohibit because if every single person of those thousands of visitors that flocked there every day takes even one chip, then it is unfair to the next generation. They will not be able to see the wonders of this place nor learn from the story behind.

The Glass Beach is a fantastic place to bring the family to wander and also learn about environmental responsibilities. I do recommend to visit-- beach fanatics or not. This beach is a must-see destination. We drove over six hours to get to this beach and in a heartbeat, we would do it again. ~
Taken from the more rugged Glass B…
Taken from the beach below the cli…
cotton_foam says:
Nancy, I'm glad you did, girlfriend!
Sylvia: I will promise!! :))
Posted on: Oct 28, 2015
Nana_gincin says:
I really enjoyed reading this history Sis, shows that when the community decides, can make changes ... again "unity is strength"!! Thanks for share it.
Posted on: Oct 27, 2015
sylviandavid says:
May, Just loved this report on the beaches ..... thank you so much ..... You've got to promise to call me or write if you are this close to my house in the future so we can run to see you again! ♥ sylvia
Posted on: Oct 27, 2015