The Giles Statue

The Giles Circus Queen Street Ipswich, Ipswich, United Kingdom

The Giles Statue Ipswich Reviews

AdamR3723 AdamR3723
A comical stautue Nov 10, 2017
By walking west along Falcon Street, and then north along Queen Street, you reach Giles Circus, where several roads meet. The centre of this open space contains a comical statue dedicated to the memory of the cartoonist ‘Giles’. It depicts ‘Grandma’, one of the cartoonist’s characters, with her handbag. She is looking up towards the newspaper office where Ronald “Carl” Giles (1916-1995) worked in Ipswich. At the end of WW2, Giles met Kramer, the commandant of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, which had just been liberated. It turned out that Kramer was an admirer of Giles’ cartoons. Kramer offered Giles his pistol and other mementoes in exchange for a signed original cartoon. Giles is reported to have written:

“I have to say, that I quite liked the man. I am ashamed to say such a thing. But had I not been able to see what was happening outside the window I would have said he was very civilised. Odd, isn't it? But maybe there was a rather dishonourable reason. I have always found it difficult to dislike someone who was an admirer of my work. And strangely, Kramer was. I never sent him an original. What was the point? He had been hanged.” (see: “Giles’s War”, by T Benson, publ. 2017).
THE GILES STATUE
jendara says:
Congrats on your featured review:)
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured review!
EmEm says:
Congrats on being featured!

Check Ipswich Hotel Deals