The Gateway Arch

St. Louis Riverfront; St. Louis, Saint Louis, MO, USA

The Gateway Arch Saint Louis Reviews

trinademattei trinadem…
Go at Sunset!! Jun 18, 2013
I was in St. Louis in June of 2013 shooting a pilot for Spike TV when I had some free time to visit the arch. You have to visit at least once. My recommendation is to go at twilight/sunset. The view is amazing!

You ride to the top of the arch in a kind of egg-like capsule. The ride up takes about 5 minutes and fits five people. I was here with a friend on a Wednesday in June and luckily it was not very crowded. We had a capsule all to ourselves.

When you arrive at the top of the arch you can look out the observatory windows. Warning for those of you that are claustrophobic, this might not be your favorite monument! The observatory can be feel very packed very quickly as the walk way is narrow and only a few people can look out the windows at a time without rubbing elbows.

The museum at the bottom is so so but there is a large gift shop and bathrooms. We found parking for free in a lot adjacent to the park.

The park below is quite pretty and it is really an impressive feat of engineering. The ride to the top was $10.00.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the St. Louis area.
The Gateway Arch St. Louis, MO
The arch with clouds
I'm in an Egg! Gate Way Arch
View looking down at Park from Arch
cotton_foam says:
Thank you for writing a review! One of my dream destination! :))
Posted on: Sep 10, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Great views from up top.
Posted on: Sep 10, 2014
X_Drive X_Drive
One major monument!! May 16, 2010
The tallest monument in the United States at 630 feet sits at the river’s edge in Saint Louis overlooking the Mississippi River. Opened to the public in 1967 this hollow stainless steel covered monument is also the tallest habitable building in Missouri. Designed by architect Eero Saarinen and structural engineer Hannskarl Bandel in 1947, it was begun in Feb. 1963 and finished in Oct 1965. Visible for miles around it is a very jaw dropping sight. We didn’t try going in and going to the top due to our fears of heights. There is a charge to take the tram to the top and it is $10 for adults and $5 for children. It is the only way you can get to the top and it can be very bad if you are claustrophobic and not easy to enter and exit. Stairs cannot be used. It takes four minutes to travel from base to top and round trip minimum is about 45 minutes. You are allowed to stay at the top as long as you desire.

If you have no fear of heights or tight places, this is probably worth going up. We found very worthwhile just getting into Saint Louis and seeing it in person. I really is an amazing sight!
bert1978 says:
Congratulations on your feature today
sUrAbUyA says:
We did go up but it was several years ago and I'm sure it didn't cost that much. I guess I maybe shouldn't make this comment where everyone can read it but my daughter (about 12 at the time) and I thought the small odd shaped seats reminded us of of toilets. : )
Lord_Mike says:
Roger, another wonderful feature for you!
PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
History can be fun, but mind your head... Jul 25, 2010
I would recommend going up the arch, if for absolutely nothing else for the awesome views of the city. My one piece of advice is GO EARLY in the day. When we went around 2:00 in the afternoon on a weekend (Saturday) there was an over 2-hour wait. At 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, we waited less than a half an hour.

You buy the tickets under the arch. They were $10 a piece as of July, 2010. No AAA, teacher, or other discounts. They give you a time in which they start letting you line up. However, they started letting people line up earlier than our set time.

We then got a number and went into the waiting area, which is full of interactive museum-like things of the westward expansion. You are then lined up outside a door marked from 1-8. This is your "pod" number. Each pod fits 5 adults rather snugly. We were in a pod with at least one small child going both ways. Although there's not a lot of room and could be described as cramped, it wasn't terrible for a short 4 minute ride.

You are then shown a very short video of the building of the arch. It was interesting and well done.

Others file out and you file in. The doors close, and you ride up.

At the top, you can spend as much time as you'd like. Take a camera, the views are spectacular! There is a park ranger and workers at the top to answer questions you might have. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly.

I was told that on a very windy day, you can feel it sway a bit. It was calm the day we were there, so I can't attest to this.

When you want to go down, they assign you a number for your pod. The loading and unloading is a little more congested at the top, but not terrible. It's a little over 3 minutes back down.

My suggestion is EXPERIENCE THIS. It was fun and I even learned some things. Take your camera and giggle at the pod ride.
Under the arch - 2:00 p.m. on a Sa…
Waiting to go up!
The pod
alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Not the most exciting tram ride or view from the top... Jul 23, 2010
A visit to St. Louis isn't complete without a visit to the Gateway Arch. The 630 ft tall arch stands guard over St. Louis at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park along the Mississippi River. The arch is near the starting point of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

The entrance to the arch is located at the base of the arch on either end. After going through security, you arrive in a large, subterranean area. If you want to ride the tram up the arch, get in line for tickets right away. It was $10/adult and there were no discounts, even for groups. Near the ticket counter, you can climb into a tram pod for a photo op (they frown on you taking photos during the loading process). Near the ticket counter is the museum store.

The Museum of Westward Expansion takes up much of the other wing of the basement and documents the Lewis and Clark Expedition and other exhibits of local history. The museum is free.

The ride up the arch is cramped, with 5 people in a little, un-airconditioned pod. Since the arch legs are curved, the pods rotate as the tram moves up and down so you remain level. You have a tiny window but can only view the stairwell up the arch. It is crowded near the loading zones and you have to walk some steps. At the top, if it is busy, you have to fight for window space.

Views from the top include the Mighty Mississippi River and downtown St. Louis. It really isn't very scenic at the top, but it seems like something you just have to do when you come here. If you are scared of heights or claustrophobic, you might want to skip this.

Overall, the wait was long, the ride was crammed, and the views mediocre, but I'm still glad I did it.
St. Louis arch from below
Arch from across the river
neat angle on arch
ponds in the park
WalterC WalterC
The Gateway Arch May 14, 2009
The Gateway Arch is a monument to westward expansion, going back to the time when St. Louis was looked upon as the gateway to the west. The west was referring to the land west of the Mississippi River, which became part of the US by the Louisiana Purchase. Being the main symbol of this city, I think it goes without saying, this attraction is a must for any visitor to St. Louis.

The Arch was built and completed in 1965. Looking at it from the ground, it is very hard to believe how this thing was built. Especially when thinking about how people having to be at those heights, when putting this monument together.

There is a film called “Monument to the Dream”, which tells the story and puts a more vivid picture of how it was built. Though, I thought the film was a bit dry.

The ride to the top of the Arch was fun, being in a pod-like tram. But once up there, I thought the views were a bit of a letdown, which includes views of downtown St. Louis on one side, and the Mississippi River and Illinois on the other side.

But regardless, I still say it is one of those things that has to be done, and decide for themselves whether it was worth it or a waste of time.
Gateway Arch
view of downtown
view of Busch Stadium
view of the Mississippi River
WalterC says:
Yeah, I think it's worth a visit for at least a full day.
Posted on: Nov 13, 2015
Cho says:
I have passed through St Louis several times, once on a Greyhound bus and twice at the airport. I really want to visit the city for sightseeing one of these days.
Posted on: Nov 12, 2015
WalterC says:
No problem! I just re-edited it, adding a little bit more to the review. But I am sure there are enough reviews on this site already. :)
Posted on: Nov 12, 2015
pearcetoyou pearceto…
The Arch Nov 15, 2009
I’ve been up on the arch several times, most recently during the autumn of 2008 with Mellemel8, and the first time a few years after it was opened on a first grade field trip. One thing that many people don’t know about the arch (those who have only seen pictures of it), is the beautiful park below it that stretches along the Mississippi River. Tickets to go up are 10USD for adults and 5USD for children. The elevators that take you up seat 5 people and takes about a minute to get to the top. Once you are at the top, you can take as long as you want to enjoy the views out the windows. Here are some fast facts about the Arch:

The Arch is the tallest national monument in the United States at 630 feet; it is the city's best known landmark and a popular tourist attraction. Construction began February 12, 1963 and the last section of the Arch was put into place on October 28, 1965.

The Arch is a structure known as a catenary curve, the shape a free-hanging chain takes when held at both ends, and considered the most structurally-sound arch shape. The span of the Arch legs at ground level is 630 feet, the same as its height.

Each year, approximately a million visitors ride the trams to the top of the Arch. The trams have been in operation for over 30 years, traveling a total of 250,000 miles and carrying over 25 million passengers.

The Arch weighs 17,246 tons. Nine hundred tons of stainless steel was used to build the Arch, more than any other project in history. The Arch was built at a cost of $13 million. The transportation system was built at a cost of $3,500,000.

In order to ensure that the constructed legs would meet, the margin of error for failure was 1/64th of an inch. All survey work was done at night to eliminate distortion caused by the sun's rays. Since the Arch was constructed before the advent of computer technology, relatively crude instruments were used for these measurements.

The Arch sways a maximum of 18" (9" each way) in a 150 mph wind. The usual sway is 1/2".
Looking down
ahtibat17 says:
I've been a few times, but this just reminds me that I want to go back. I've taken an interest in photography since the last time I was there, and want to get some great pics like you have here!
Posted on: Dec 09, 2009
vulindlela says:
Great pictures, James!
I have not been there yet.
Posted on: Nov 15, 2009
kami_lynn kami_lynn
Gateway Arch Sep 15, 2008
Well this is something that I guess is worth seeing once, but really there is not much to it. That is my overall attitude about St. Louis. I like destinations where there are way too many options to choose from for things to do. This one has a few, such as riverboat rides, helicopter rides, going up in the arch, walking down the landing strip with restaurants, shops and bars ... and that is about it. So you can entertain yourself there, but after 8 hours I think you've seen everything that could be interesting or fun. So to sum it up, lots of stuff to look at, but not much active adventurous things to choose from. I just prefer more outdoor options, but I guess it is in a city. Anyway, I did do the helicopter ride. It was brief for the price, and too bumpy to get that great of pictures, but it was pretty fun.
jebailey76 jebailey…
Beauty of the Gateway Arch Aug 01, 2008
The Gateway Arch,is the Gateway to the West, is an integral part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and the iconic image of St. Louis, Missouri. It was designed by Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen and structural engineer Hannskarl Bandel. It stands 630 feet tall, and is 630 feet wide at its base, making it the tallest monument in the United States.

You gotta to check out the an American famous Gateway Arch. It's all worth it and you'll have a blast!
The Gateway Arch
Look real, huh:)
yheleen says:
i love the photos ;)
Posted on: Aug 13, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About The Gateway Arch

The Arch in Saint Louis
I had crossed the Mississippi River at Saint Louis many times before, always admiring the Gateway Arch but had never taken the time to stop there. So I was thrilled when Dawn and Keith suggested we v…Saint Louis many times before, always admiring the Gateway Arch but had never taken the time to stop there. So I was thrilled…
The gateway Arch
March 11th Finally we drove a good part of route 66!Through Mt Olive for instance where a cute little gasstation is located.Of course, pictures are taken hahaha From there we drove onward to the Ol… March 11th Finally we drove a good part of route 66! Through Mt Olive for instance where a cute little…
Gateway to the west
CUPCAKES, ARCH, AND GOOSE OH MY!!!!!After we left Jilly’s cupcake bar, we drove straight to the ARCH. We planned to eat our cupcakes after our tour inside the THE ARCH. James wanted to take me to t…Gateway Arch; the south queue area includes displays about the St. Louis riverfront during the mid-19th century.   Passing through the doors, passengers in groups of five enter…

Check Saint Louis Hotel Deals