The Garden Backpacker

954 22 38 66

The Garden Backpacker Rates and Deals

The Garden Backpacker Sevilla Reviews

dearjohn dearjohn
Good hostel in a beautiful town, but would try one of the others if I came back Mar 26, 2012
I came to the Garden Backpacker because of the near unanimous high ratings I found on the internet. The hostel is actually on the smaller side in terms of total guests, which makes it a bit more intimate. I stayed in a dorm and found all of the amenities I look for: clean rooms, lockers, nice bathrooms, full kitchen, free internet, etc. The staff will do your laundry (5 Euros if I remember correctly), but you have to dry your clothes on the rooftop clotheslines (otherwise I think it's another 5 Euros for a dryer!). The summer temps in Seville help, but I would have preferred the standard coin dryer minus the wallet gouging. Luckily no one was hanging out on the roof while my undies were flapping in the breeze!

Based on the reviews I read, one of the big selling points was supposed to be the common area out back with a nightly sangria happy hour. It wasn't quite as advertised and was a bit subdued when I was there, but it was a decent way to get to know your hostel mates. I'm all for a good nights sleep, but I kind of wish it was a little more social/full.

Like most top hostels in Spain, the Garden offers daily activities: walking tours, flamenco nights, and of course, pub crawls. All events appears to be run by the same outside outfit and gather backpackers from other participating hostels. Great way to meet other people. The walking tour was excellent (the Italian guy is the best) and I highly recommend the pub crawl (minus the Moroccan crawl leader with coke bottle glasses who's a bit of a prick). The crawl doesn't exactly throw drinks at you all night, but the end (the last two clubs) is worth it. Some of the best nightlife I experienced on my trip.

The downside to the Garden is probably the location. It's not terrible, but it was a bit of a pain the first couple of days. Wandering the winding streets of Sevilla is almost as confusing as Venice. Eventually you learn how to make your way to the gigantic Cathedral and navigate from there, but next time I think I might pick one of the other highly rated hostels next to the Cathedral and save some walking! You could certainly do worse though, and ultimately this a good place to stay and meet other travelers.
Vipin Vipin
Really lovely place Dec 12, 2010
Priced at 13/15 Euros per night when I was there, this was a averagely priced hostel to stay at. They have internet access and wi fi connection, and offer a basic free breakfast in the morning, so the value is very good.

As with most hostels in Sevilla, the hostel is a ten or fifteen minute walk away from the centre from places such as Sevilla Cathedral. This is very true for this place; just make sure you keep an eye on your map closely. Once you crack the route the first time, you will easily remember it thereafter.

The hostel in general was pretty clean. The kitchen was a bit messy with dirty plates at times, but you can't expect people to tidy up within seconds, so it's fine if you're not too highly strung. There is also a fridge, washing machine and a decent range of utensiils to cook your food.

The bathrooms and rooms are very clean and decent to use. However, it would have been nice to have had a couple of extra bathrooms as there can be a tiny queue at peak times!

Lockers are available in the dorm rooms, and you have a dorm room key as well as a key for the front door. The location is pretty safe too, with a local source of shops and bars making it a safe area to be in. Free tea and coffee available throughout the day, and they organise things such as walking tours if you are interested.

Most of all though, the people were the most fun here and it was like a big family. The hostel workers are very friendly and helpful and the other guests come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Quite often, you get these cliques in hostels, and people only really speak to others with a similar personality, face or travel experience to themselves. This really isn't the case here, and this is a good thing. I met the widest variety of people here, and there was always someone fun to talk to no matter what the hour was.

A really lovely place to stay, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Check The Garden Backpacker Rates and Deals