The Forts. Albany.

Princess Royal Fortress, Albany, Australia

The Forts. Albany. Reviews

goezi goezi
Historical Colonial Fortress Mar 31, 2006
After entering the grounds of "The Forts" the first items on display that caught my eye were the guns placed around the courtyard.

There were already a few people climbing on them, turning handles to aim the guns at imaginary, inbound , enemy planes or ships.

I had to get on one and have a go at this!

The Forts is properly known as the Princess Royal Fortress and the complex has been restored back to it's Colonial beginnings when it was once the first federal defence in Australia.

The guns I mentioned are perfectly placed to overlook King George Sound and there is an easy walk down around the edge of the courtyard to several WWII gun emplacements, complete with hardware.

Several of the colonial buildings have collections of war memorabilia or show living conditions within the Fortress.
The Forts Entry Ticket
goezi says:
Don't know how it will stack up against the likes of American sites but I thought this was great, especially the historical significance of it being the first in Aus.
Don't be fooled into thinking that it's close to Perth though. Probably a nice two day drive at least, but WA is the undiscovered secret of Aussie and there's plenty to explore if you get over to this side of the country.
(but maybe I shouldn't tell too many that!)
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About The Forts. Albany.

Meeting Travbuddy NovaBelgica (Tim) in Copenhagen
I had been friends on TB with NovaBelgica (Tim) since June 2007 and we had finally a possibility to meet in Copenhagen of all places. Tim was having a couple of his magnificent pieces of art in a gal…Fort Orange" (near Albany).  The numerous Dutch place names along the coast of New England are mostly copied…
The capital of new york
My bf's other sister lives here. we came down to visit  from saratoga springs. we hung out at a park with a man made lake and garden maze.  Waverly Park: This 20-acre park is located at the…Albany is built on the site of the Dutch Fort Orange and its surrounding community of Beverwyck. The English…

Check Albany Hotel Deals