The Forgotten Corner of Cornwall

Cawsand, England

The Forgotten Corner of Cornwall Cawsand Reviews

davidx davidx
Forgotten - not by me! Dec 09, 2010
I suppose calling it 'free' may be a tad misleading as you would want at east to spend a bit on transport, since there is quite a lot of it.

I used to think the idea of this being a forgotten Cornwall was just mine but if you Google it now, you will find quite a few websites. To me it's far from forgotten because it was the most accessible part of Cornwall to Plymouth, where I used to live. From there the car ferry at Torpoint or for pedestrians/cyclists the Cremyll Ferry are the regular means of access but there are motorboats from Plymouth to the beach of Cawsand during summer months.

I tend to divide it into three parts. First, the beaches of Cawsand and its twin village, Kingsand, plus Whitsands are not known to many who have not visited them from Plymouth. I went frequently as a boy and the beaches at the first two places used to be full of sea anemones in the rock pools as well as full of good sand.

Secondly there are the headlands of Penlee Point and Rame Head. Pnlee is beautifully wooded and Rame is far more barren with a small church out near the point. To walk round both from Kingsand is a delight.

Lastly there is Mount Edgcumbe House and estate. These were not open in my time and they have started to open up the corner a bit to visitors from other parts of the county.

Check Cawsand Hotel Deals