The Forge

14 Garrick St, London, United Kingdom

The Forge London Reviews

jhoc jhoc
Upscale French Cuisine Nov 01, 2010
The Forge specialises in French cuisine with an impressive wine list to match any taste or budget. The location is just off the beaten path of London’s popular and touristy Covent Garden. The clientele isn’t touristy here though and you’ll need a reservation because seating is limited.

The decor is subtle with lots of brick work and wine shelves scattered about. The crisp linens and comfy padded chairs add a touch of class. The menu was an impressive mix of meat and fish ranging in prices from £15-25 per plate for main courses. The wine list ranged from £25 upwards of much more expensive.

The food we had was brilliant, excellent prepared and tasted great. Overall I thought the meat dishes looked better than the fish dishes but it didn’t stop me from trying the Sea Bass which was served in 2 generous filets. The puddings were most impressive with a soufflé for my girlfriend and a baked key lime cheesecake for me. Baked cheesecakes are rare to find so how I could I pass up my favourite American indulgence.

Thankfully the food was great because I can’t say much for the service. It did seem a little understaffed as one man was tending many tables, but it was a Friday night and that is just unacceptable. I had to pour my own wine the entire meal with waiter coming over once to grab the bottle which I thought was hopeful but he really just wanted to see if he could take our ice bucket to another table. It took 20 minutes to flag down the waiter to order dessert which was a shame because we knew (as stated on the menu) that the soufflé would require 15 minutes on its own after ordering.

I’d give them the benefit of the doubt that they were understaffed and probably try it again because the food was so good. If I were travelling and not living here I might not risk the high price tag for questionable service, there are plenty of safer bets for a perfect dinner while on your holiday.

Check London Hotel Deals