The Flute of Shame (Torture Museum)

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Flute of Shame (Torture Museum) Amsterdam Reviews

lizalcott lizalcott
AMY WINEHOUSE!! Get on this! The Flute Of Shhhhaaaame!! Jul 28, 2008
I was visiting Amsterdam's Torture Museum the other day - as you do, when it's raining and you've reached saturation point with sex, drugs and the little men selling tulips and asking for money to take your photo - when a fiendish little device caught my attention. It was called the Flute of Shame, a medieval instrument of torture used for the express purpose of punishing bad musicians.

The contraption, which does indeed look like a flute, although you really wouldn't want to try and play it, was hung around the neck of an offender whose fingers would be stuck through the flute, rendering the offending muso unable to play. As if this wasn't enough punishment for the heinous crime of performing an earlobe-bashing melody or - equally punishable - "offending public morals'" the 'orrible little miscreant would also be forced to parade around the streets, where he or she would receive a pelting of rotten fruit and the kind of verbal humiliation with which James Blunt is familiar.

My first response to the device - "What a horrible little gadget" - was quickly superseded by: "What a brilliant idea!" Just imagine what it would be like if we hadn't gone all soft in these cosy, iPod, MySpace and in-car air-con times; if we had stuck with medieval concepts of morality and punishment and had been more vigilant against dastardly crimes against music - were an instrument like the Flute Of Shame still in active use today, prog-rock may never have happened. Phil Collins may have been physically prevented from leaving the drum stool in Genesis to launch that Godawful solo career. Dire Straits may not have been given Money for Nothing. The Darkness might have been restrained from appearing onstage on large rubber sexual organs. Radiohead would never have made anything but entirely listenable albums, and the world need never have even been troubled by the tinnitus-inducing rackets made by people like Sinitta, Avril Lavigne or the 173,908 bands who sound like under-the-counter copies of Arctic Monkeys or Libertines. While our Sunday afternoons are generally spent watching overpaid Premiership footballers in the pub, we could be having hours of much cheaper fun hurling rotten tomatoes at the Kooks.

Stolen off Dave Simpson, Read the full review here...

Check it out!
danny291 says:
hahahaha that is crazy!! i thought it was a sexual torture device at first!! brilliant!!
Posted on: Jul 28, 2008
British4Eternity British4…
Scary, Short, Cheap, Not really Worth it! Jan 15, 2008
Well the name pretty much gives it away. We were looking for something to do and of course we came across this as we were walking. We said what the heck. It was scary stuff I must say, there is a bit of history behind all these torture devices - you know us Europeans know how to do it right. But I felt explanations were just a little too short and I found myself tired of the exhibit by the first 2 minutes. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to explore more the city then this Museum. Overall, in less your into this type of stuff, you can skip it. It took us maybe 10 minutes to walk through the whole thing. Its very small, dark and dainty. Spend your 5 Euro somewhere else!
Thats gotta hurt!