The Fitzwilliam Museum

01223 332900

The Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge Reviews

curious_claire curious_…
Worth a visit Feb 11, 2015
This is probably the most popular museum in Cambridge with an impressive collection of paintings and artefacts. I asked my hostel to recommend a museum and this is the one they suggested. It's free to get in so worth popping by even just for a brief visit.

The lady at the hostel recommended this place more for the painting, which are upstairs. I'm not a massive art lover so i maybe didn't appreciate these as much as some people. But if you're a true art lover i'm sure you'll have a different impression to me!

Downstairs was split into 2 sections. One was showcasing ceramic artefacts, ancient coins and medals. Again, this didn't really interest me much. For me it was just showcasing pottery you'd find at your grandmas!

For me the best part of the museum was the ancients section, also downstairs. I love Egyptian history so as soon as i heard there was an Egyptian section to this museum i knew i had to go! And i was not disappointed by this. They also also some ancient Greek stuff which was also cool to see.

Overall, this museum is worth checking out as it is free and with a diverse range of artwork and artefacts there's a little something for everyone. Plus it's worth going inside just for the building itself which is just stunning!
curious_claire says:
Walter I am the same! I keep telling myself I've been to enough museum with Egyptian artefacts but I can't help myself!
Posted on: May 05, 2015
WalterC says:
I am such a sucker for museums with ancient Egyptian and Greek antiquities, that I keep making time for them, no matter where in the world I am. :)
Posted on: May 05, 2015