The Fat Hippo

- - 0191 3408949

The Fat Hippo Newcastle upon Tyne Reviews

mudpiemaker mudpiema…
Good affordable food all made from scratch! May 14, 2011
This quaint little restaurant is fairly new, but is already well loved by many. The menu mainly consists of burgers and sandwiches, but there are also platters (Seafood, Greek, Italian) and salads for those who want something a little different.

What is most charming about the place is their policy to cook everything from scratch, and it is this along with the wonderful presentation of the food that makes eating here such a delight. The chips are hand made and come in a little bucket lined with checkered paper, the burgers are huge and are made with ciabatta, and the whole meal is brought out on wooden chopping boards with a side salad and home made coleslaw.

Desserts here are also to die for. I ordered the Belgian waffles which came with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. As a Belgian, I can tell you that these are just as good as what we get back home!

All in all, a wonderful restaurant, although service was a little slow - but I assume only because the place was packed! I recommend booking in advance as every time I've been it's been full!
LindsayA says:
Sounds lovely Tina. I'll make an effort to visit next time I'm back in the UK.
Posted on: Aug 31, 2012