The Equator

Masaka, Uganda

The Equator Masaka Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
The Imaginary line that divides the Northern & Southern Hemispheres Oct 19, 2009
The Equator is an imaginary line that divides the earth into two. It crosses the earth running latitudinal, East to West. The Equator crosses through particular countries along it’s path: Uganda Included. I grew up in Uganda and crossed the equator more than a dozen times as a child and as an adult. In Uganda, one has a chance the experience the awe of standing at the point of two hemispheres at the same time.

What is fascinating about being at the Equator, is that one can vividly see the theory of the longitudinal and latitudinal forces at play. Water drains clockwise at the Northern Hemisphere and anti-clockwise at the Southern Hemisphere. It did not make sense to me as a child, but as I studied my geography and learned about earth, I became fascinated with seeing more of it.

There isn't much more at the Equator really, except a circular monument with the word “Equator” written on it to mark the point of crossing between the two hemispheres.

It is cheap to get there and you can do it on your own too. from the Kampala taxi park, jump on a taxi going to Masaka and let the driver know to drop you off at the equator. It should cost no more than 2,000 shillings.
vijilesh says:
hi dear harriet it seems that u r in uganda right now? is it possible to meet once ? if u have time please let me know. recently i had a visit to Pian Upe near to mbale, it is a nice place going to write soon also to sippi falls and i am happy to say u that I covered a,most all parts of uganda except kidepo.... hope to see u soon. have a nice day.... my mob is 0757888558...
Posted on: Jan 05, 2013
davidx says:
I don't get the bit about the water drainage but it is most interesting.
Posted on: Jan 01, 2013
Africancrab says:
You should :)
Posted on: Dec 29, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About The Equator

A rainy day out to Lake Mburo, Uganda.
After a two hours journey from Kampala we reached Masaka, where we took some snaps from the location where the equator passes. It’s really a gift of god, for us to visit the equator. Lake Mburo…Masaka, where we took some snaps from the location where the equator passes. It’s really a gift of god, for us to visit…
Masaka Map