The Egged Bus Company

Jerusalem Central Bus Station

The Egged Bus Company Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
'highly recommended' Mar 10, 2014
Egged Israel Transport Cooperative Society Ltd is a cooperative bus company owned by its members. I believe it is Israel's largest bus company. Although, it is owned by the employees themselves, it is also subsidized by the government. They control (or monopolized!) most of the inter-city bus lines in Israel. Egged's bus fleet include a wide variety of bus models of Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, DAF and including bulletproof versions used mostly for travel in the West Bank.

From our experience, Egged Bus is a reliable mode of transportation for inter-city travel in Israel. Their drivers are responsible, friendly, and helpful. They do not over speed, and are always on time. Most Egged's Central Bus Stations are equipped with (free) Wi-Fi! There are also plenty of concessioner shops to buy from anything you might need along the way. The Central Station in Jerusalem alone are hundreds of stores and shops inside the building, and where I was able to buy a charger chord for my iPhone. Waiting lounges are clean and in Jerusalem, seats are limited but the bus stations in Eilat and Tiberius, there are ample of it. Their busses are clean, air-conditioned, and equipped with a stereo but no T.V. sets. The only thing I had a little snag with Egged Bus is their website; it was quite tricky to navigate but once I found the icon for “English”, it turned workable anyway. There website also have a lot of information available.

Added info: they also offer private tours but I cannot write a review for that since we did use this service. But you may check their website for more information. I think their rates are lower than the average tour companies in Israel. Also, you may do an advance booking for your trip through their website.

Egged Bus Ride to Tiberius:

We rode the tram to go to Jerusalem Central Bus Station (CBS) from Davidkha Square. The tram stops at its station at the CBS. Once you go out of the tram you’ll be facing towards the building of CBS right away. Go inside the building and hopped into the elevator. Egged Bus Station is at the 3rd floor. At the 3rd floor on your left, you will see a ticketing booth but you do not need to buy tickets from that booth. You buy it from the driver as you hop into the bus. For Tiberius destination the platform is # 20. Bus departs on time so it is always good to be at the bus station early. The travel time from Jerusalem to Tiberius is about 2 to 2 ½ hours with a 15 minute break in Afula, one of the cities in the North just before Tiberius. Bus fare is 44.00 shekels (US$13.00) per person. There are 3 schedules of trips to Tiberius from Jerusalem. For the exact time of departure, you have to check with their website. They have different set up schedules for each day. Added info: The Central Bus Station in Tiberias has offices for rental car companies. Taxis abounds but I would recommend you take the local Egged bus for intercity rides.

Egged Bus Ride BOUND TO Eilat from Jerusalem:

From Jerusalem Central Bus Station:

Go up to the 3rd floor. Buy your tickets from the ticketing booth. Platform # 4 is for trip to Eilat. Bus fares to Eilat from Jerusalem is 82.00 shekels (US$23.50) per person. Travel time is 5 hours with 30 minute-break at a rest area; “somewhere” in the middle of dessert. But don’t worry, it is not a scary place. Rest area have shops for coffee, shawarma, pastry, sandwiches, a convenient store, outdoor chairs & tables where one can eat comfortably and of course restrooms. By the way there’s even a McDonalds fast food next to the rest area but I do not know why it was closed at that time.

From Eilat to Jerusalem:

Purchase ticket at the ticketing booth. Bus fare is 82.00 shekels (US$23.50). Bus route # for Jerusalem is 444, and the bus parks on platform #6.

There are 4 schedules of trips from Eilat to Jerusalem. Again, you may check their website for accurate time tables.

The Central Bus Station in Eilat, besides the convenient shops, small eateries and ATM machines there is also a computer available to use for 5.00 shekels/20 minutes usage time. Also, a concessioner rental luggage storage can be found at the entrance gate of the bus station. I cannot remember though how much their rental fee is but I knew it was a bit overpriced so we did not make use of that. One thing they lack is electrical plug-in or sockets but I was able to recharge my cellphone at one of the shops inside the bus station building for 5.00 shekels.

I guess this review is long enough but because when I was searching for public transportations in Israel, only a few information was I able to gather so I owe it to myself to write for a review that has a little bit more details. Anyways, I highly recommend Egged Bus for your intercity travel transportation needs while in Israel. Happy Egged bus ride!
Jerusalem Central Bus Station
platform #4 -- to Eliat Israel
ticket machine
ticketing booth in Jerusalem Centr…
nolan says:
Galing ah! Talo mo pa yung marketing dept. nung bus company! Very detailed and helpful info!
Posted on: May 01, 2014