The Edison

108 W. Second St., Los Angeles, CA, USA
The Edison - Looking down into the lounge from the main level.
The Edison - FEATURED REVIEW 12-12-07

The Edison Los Angeles Reviews

ola3rd ola3rd
Cool Vibe Jan 18, 2013
This was quite the interesting bar; the decor is based on Cuban style. This was my first time going to a jazz club [do they consider themselves to be one?]. There was a jazz band playing and a little bit of a burlesque show. The music and show was quite entertaining, but the crowd seemed a bit on the "pretentious" side.

Nevertheless, its one of those places you just have to check out at some point. Just make sure you dress up to the nines before heading there ;)
melodyj melodyj
Fantastic Bar! Nov 12, 2011
The Edison offers an entertainment experience that’s as truly unique as it is quintessentially Hollywood. 100 years ago, the site that houses The Edison was built as downtown L.A.’s first private power plant, and the space’s current incarnation sports a design incorporating that history along with elements of Old Hollywood, Industrial Gothic, and Art Nouveau. The Edison offers a multitude of entertainment options, including a bar with artisanal cocktails like The Brass Flower and the L.A. Confidential, a restaurant with such specialties as Tesla Fries (named for inventor Nikola Tesla) and Direct Current Ceviche, and a stage that features everything from live music and DJs to aerialists and burlesque.
mellemel8 mellemel8
Dec 08, 2007
this is were we had our LA TRAVBUDDY MEET & GREET. all 22 of us hung out here. tracy ordered the "edison" lavender-honey infused liqueur, fresh squeezed pear nectar, and pear liqueur. we both shared a mac and cheese with black truffles. that was awesome. anything with black truffles is always good. this was a fun place to hang out. i enjoyed the ambiance.

every thursday is 35 cents martini night. who's coming?!?!?!?!

later that evening, 5 flapper girls came on stage near we were standing and started dancing the charleston and they were dressed in 1920's costume.

With the opening of Andrew Meieran's new industrial cathedral, Downtown is once again the place to be in Los Angeles. The Edison presents a marriage of refined industrial architecture and art deco chic - a world class lounge that retains the mechanical artifacts from its history as downtown LA's first private power plant. The grand staircase spectacularly descends into the depths of the historic Higgins Building. The Edison revitalizes the art of the classic, hand crafted cocktail with house specialties designed just for the space old-school bourbons luxuriously transformed with a house made lavender & honey infusion. A small, upscale menu of food and drinks. The Edison offers a respectful nod to LA's famed nightlife that haunts Ciros & Coconut Grove and continues to punctuate billiards. You can also enjoy an early evening retro juke box for nightly Cocktail Hours.

Located near Harlem Place Alley--core of L.A.'s early 20th century music scene--this converted cocktail spot with a "Sherlock Holmes-post-industrial vibe" caters to the area's upscale-loft residents. According to project partners Marc Smith (Golden Gopher) and Andrew Meieran (Mercury Liquors), renovation efforts keep the 1910 Higgins Building's original structure intact, and that includes preserving many of the original boiler room features as decor, such as its enormous central power generator.
blenderboy says:
Wish I could have made this...well we in Chicago have some stories to tell after the 22ns

Jim the Travel Agent aka Blenderboy
Posted on: Dec 14, 2007
RacquelT127 says:
congrats on being featured, I read Eric's review and I thought it was cool and then yours was featured. Great info, it does look like a great place
mellemel8 says:
love to go back to try the lobster corn dogs :)
X_Drive X_Drive
Dec 10, 2007
Being the oldest attendee at the Los Angeles TravBuddy Meetup gave me a different perspective of the lounge. I actually recognized some of the original items retained from the days of the power plant that once was home here. But today it has seen a very profound change. This very upscale lounge has tried to bring back the best of the “Speakeasy”. At the door you are met by a gentleman in a black suit, black shirt, tie, and even a twenties style brimmed hat, who “looks you over” to make sure you are properly attired before letting you in. The waitresses, who I might add were extremely excellent, were attired in flapper style attire. They have done a wonderful job of turning this elderly building into a wonderful lounge, and although I wouldn’t recommend eating here, they do offer several items and of course their bar offers a wide variety of drinks to satisfy every taste. They even have several girls who do a Charleston dance routine on stage throughout the evening. Don’t try to go before they open, this is not in the best part of town and is quite hard to locate off the street and down the alley. I never did see a sign. Parking is easy in the very close parking garage.
Looking down into the lounge from …
Eric Eric
Dec 09, 2007
I usually go out on the west side, but I'm glad I got to check out The Edison in downtown L.A. for a TravBuddy meetup! The bar/club/restaurant is hard to describe in words and it is completely different from any other clubs I have been to in L.A. The staff is actually friendly, the crowd is elegantly dressed yet unpretentious, and overall the vibe was just really good. The venue itself is quite amazing (the building used to house the first private power plant in LA) and I had a blast. Would recommend getting here early (even before 8PM) if you don't want to wait in line!

food review:

I had a burger for dinner. It was better than most bar food, but not amazing. Definitely not Father's Office! Probably better off eating before coming here!
latelunch says:
The Edison is my favorite bar in LA. Wednesday nights are the best. Jazz musician Miles Mosely plays on a regular basis with his band, and its by far one of the best shows Ive seen. The atmosphere is great as well. Every night draws different crowds. Sat night always has long lines.
Posted on: Dec 16, 2007
travelman727 says:
Eric, you're so right about getting there early! The Edison opened at 6:00 p.m. and it was a ghost town for about a half an hour. By the time we left at 9:40 p.m., the place was jammed wall-to-wall on every floor and there was a long waiting line of folks who would not be let in until someone inside left.
Posted on: Dec 16, 2007
TradewindsHD says:
I'm so bummed I missed the shindig. Sounds like a blast was had. Hope to see you all in NORCAL soon!

Related Travel Blogs About The Edison

The Edison! And more TB's!!
Ok, So let me in on the action.  We arrive in LA... took us a while to find it.  Vic's navigation system was not really helping us.  And we gave our only direction print out to Janene …Edison was on 2nd street faily close to the freeway.  We took a short tour of Los Angeles.   There…

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals