The Dragon House
The Royal Sanssouci Park , Potsdam, Germany
The Dragon House Potsdam Reviews
A German Chinese Pagoda Apr 06, 2011
The Prussian King Frederick the Great ordered that the Dragon House or Drachenhaus be built on the southern slope of the Klausberg, which borders the northern edge of Sanssouci Park.
It was created between 1770 and 1772 in the prevailing Chinoiserie taste of the time, designed to imitate a Chinese pagoda. The Dragon House is named after the sixteen dragons on the corners of its concave roofs.
Six years after the construction of the Chinese House in Sanssouci Park, Frederick's enthusiasm for Chinoiserie park structures was expressed once again with this creation.
Frederick the Great was stimulated to build in a Far Eastern style by Sir William Chambers's Designs of Chinese Buildings" (1757) and from his Plans, elevations, section and perspective views of the gardens and buildings at Kew" (1763). These architectural reference books were given to Frederick by the author, who had created for Augusta, Princess of Wales a large garden at Kew (near London), in which there still stands Chambers's many-tiered tapering pagoda, completed in 1762.
The Dragon House at Sanssouci was built on an octagonal plan, with four floors not only to be decorative, but also as living quarters for the wine-growers who worked on the neighbouring Weinberg. However, they did not move into the pagoda. To save the pagoda from its dilapidated state, it had to be restored in 1787. The Dragon House has been used since 1934 in an astronomical capacity.
Part of the Germany; an underestimated tourist country! travel blog
3 / 3 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!