The Denniston Experience

Denniston, New Zealand
www.denniston.co.nz - 0800 881 880
The Denniston Experience - The infamous Denniston Incline. Apparently so scary some people never left the top alive.
The Denniston Experience - Me and Dad trying out the autoshot
The Denniston Experience - A Welsh rail bridge made purely with rocks no glue of any kind
The Denniston Experience - Our fabulous tour guide

The Denniston Experience Reviews

Cathm Cathm
Awesome experience taking you into the past Feb 12, 2012
This place is fantastic. We started off at the bottom looking up and wound our way up to the Mount Rochfort Plateau and the first thing that hit us was the bleakness of the area. Once we clambered out of our car we met the guides who were all round brilliant.

They hand you a hard hat and a jacket (which came to my knees) and then we wondered down to the mine entrance. Along the way the guides pointed out where the main buildings were and what went on in each. The view is fantastic; looking out to the vast Ocean it hits you how high up you are and that there is nothing really between you and Tasmania (if your lucky). Once we "tagged in" we got a "job" assigned to us (I was Mine Manager, woop woop!) and we travelled in by mini-train into the deep dark coal mine. Once there we were surrounded by pitch-black with the only light being the small one in your hand and the tiny streak coming in from the mouth of the mine. The guides took us around the mine stopping at points to show how things worked and to explain things so we got a glimpse of life back in time. We also got to try our “jobs” but luckily for me I didn’t really have to do anything except say Mine Manager in an authoritive voice. There are the noise of rats running around as well which will scare the life out of you but no need to panic these are just sound effects. Phew, could swear I felt one running up my leg!! In whole the tour takes about 2 hours and it is well worth it.

After that we wandered around the place and it is amazing what you can find. We came across a ruin of a brick fireplace in the middle of the bush and we had fun guessing what the building used to be. I picked a school house. Standing on top of the Denniston Incline (once the 8th wonder of the world) you kind of get dizzy at the height and the thought that you actually had to travel up it in a cart but apparently you can walk it! Not for the fainthearted in my opinion.

It is a bleak and dreary place even on a summer’s day but it just makes you appreciate the colonials and what they went through to scrape a living from this harsh environment.
Our fabulous tour guide
A Welsh rail bridge made purely wi…
Me and Dad trying out the autoshot
The infamous Denniston Incline. Ap…
Denniston Map