The Crown Liquor Saloon

028 9024 3187

The Crown Liquor Saloon Belfast Reviews

aloha_pineapple aloha_pi…
Victorian-style pub in Belfast May 06, 2013
I loved the "snugs" here - it was a great place to meet people if you can manage to get in one of them! My friend and I met a group of people from Canada in one of the snugs.

The stained glass in the place is super interesting to look at and also the tin ceilings.

The mix of people was good and lots of opportunities to talk to new people.

My friend and I ate upstairs for dinner and the food was pretty good! I got the beef & Guiness stew and it was huuuuuuge - I couldn't finish it! It was delicious, though. It was reasonably priced and the service was friendly. but a little bit slow. This is also a good place for solo dining.
gracehw gracehw
Great deal for good cheap food, nice place for a few drinks Mar 07, 2011
The Crown Bar Restaurant is located above the Crown Bar. It was really nice, with old art and pictures on the wall and ornate finishings, making it look like a cross between Pride and Prejudice and your grandmother's house.

It had pretty good prices for a nice place, but the bring friend deal was the really sweet part. You and a friend chose 1 meal each from a list of around 7 choices, paying 10 pounds total for both together. I recommend the salmon cakes. The other choices looked good, too.

It was convenient afterwards to just go downstairs for a drink. The beers were a bit on the pricey side, but the setup was cool: personal booths with a door you can close, everything ornate and gilded with gold. It was really crowded on a friday night, but we managed to get a booth. Not a place to go if you're looking for the young and hip. It's an old and famous place. I liked it.

The restaurant definitely worth the money if you're looking for dinner. The bar you must see.
andyallen andyallen
Oldest bar in Belfast Mar 05, 2011
The Crown bar is one of the oldest bars in Belfast and certainly one of the most beautiful.

Located towards the centre of the city, the pub is not large, but offers lots of private booths where you can go for a drink, or you can just stand near the bar if you wish. The wooden carvings and painted glass work is very ornate. The detail on all the fixtures is extraordinary. There are also lots of old style gas lamps.

The booths all the way down the right hand side are quite large - space for about six or seven people - so if you are in a small group - expect to be joined by others - a great way to meet and have a conversation with some locals or other tourists.

The beer prices are on the high side, but I think its worth paying a little extra to be in such a beautiful place. The pub gets busy - although having said that we managed to get a booth on a Saturday evening.
Valcosta85 Valcosta…
Meh May 20, 2011
I came here with some of my girlfriends. Drinks are kind of expensive- then again it is in hollywood where everything is expensive. The bartender was not the most friendly being, but he wasnt rude. The vip table service is a little outrageous.
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
The Crown Jewel Of Belfast's Pubs Feb 14, 2010
The Crown is likely the most famous pub in Belfast, and of such note that you will find it signposted throughout the city cenre, along with the other tourist attractions.

An exceptional example of a Victorian pub, it is listed both inside and outside,it is now owned by the National Trust . I had been there for a drink, on previous visits, so knew it also had a reataurant upstairs where I would be able to take the kids.

Beautiful looking from the outside,it's onece you go in that it differs from almost any other pub. Nice tiled floor and walls ans there are two areas, one at the bar and the other is a series of little wooden booths,that offer a great deal of privacy. On a previous visit there were up to 10 of us able to sit in one of them.

we went up to the restaurant area which is a lot brighter than the bar, but still keeps to the Victorian age.

Wasn't to busy when we went in, but there was a constant turnover at the other tables while we were there.

Good selection on the menu, and the prices were that of a standard pub menu, so not to bad. Ordered drinks and then our meal.The girl serving us was really nice and very friendly.

Son went for the Beef and Guiness Pie and I had the Grilled Irish Ham,while my daughter chose the Hunters Chicken. My daughter and I had champ with ours, a traditional Irish recipe of potatoes and spring onion(scallions). son and I demolished ours and although my daughter loved the chicken, she wasn't that keen on the champ.

For dessert we all went for the sticky toffee pudding, though all had something different with it, custard,ice cream and whipped cream.

Sat and had another couple of drinks, and the bill was just over £50 for the three of us.

Really a place you shouldn't miss out on while in Belfast, even if it's just for a beer.
Restaurant Bar
Dining Menu
Table Mat
Restaurant Area
paulkernan paulkern…
Feb 23, 2008
The Crown Liquor Saloon in Great Victoria Street, Belfast is a classic example of the Victorian gin palaces which once flourished in the industrial cities of Britain. Today wonderfully preserved and owned by the National Trust, the Crown is still well used by the people of Belfast.

The Crown dates back to 1826, when the first train ran from Belfast to Lisburn. It was then known as the Railway Tavern and was owned by Felix O'Hanlon; he sold it to Michael Flanagan, but it was Michael's son, Patrick, who was destined to make it famous. A student of architecture, he travelled widely, and was impressed by what he saw. He arrived home with ideas to brighten up the old family bar.

The interior was built by a local firm in 1885 who in 1898 clad the exterior in faience and tiles. The exterior façade of the bar is a riot of polychromatic tiles and colour.

The interior of the bar is no less decorative than the exterior, boasting beautiful carved snugs, and an ornate bar, floor and ceiling. The year 1885 was an era of emancipation in Ireland, which saw a sharp increase in the building of Catholic churches. Skilled craftsmen from Italy were brought into Ireland to work on these churches and it is believed that some may have moonlighted on the interior of the Crown.

This pub holds such memories for me. It was my college days hangout with the students union officers from the old College of Business Studies. I was in it TWICE during nearby bomb explosions. Once many of the windows were broken but on each occasion I’m glad to say not a drop was spilled! If you are ever in Belfast and fail to visit this emporium – you go on my special list! Paulk.
The front of the bar
Detail in the inside
Tiling detail
The main entrance
billymcmurry billymcm…
Jan 31, 2008
Looking for a place for a quick bite to eat with a nice atmosphere while in Belfast? This is the place. The food is great and its a very old but, nice Victorian styled place. The pub has been there since 1826.

Related Travel Blogs About The Crown Liquor Saloon

passing through Belfast
I took a drive-by look at Ballygalley Castle, now a hotel, and carried on through Larne into Northern Ireland’s capital city.  I first drove through a rough-looking neighborhood on the outskir…Crown Liquor Saloon .   Great Victoria Street is home to some other notable Belfast landmarks such as the Grand Opera…

Check Belfast Hotel Deals