The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn - Crown Inn sign

The Crown Inn Colchester Reviews

austin37335 austin37…
Very nice place Apr 18, 2012
I was looking for somewhere to eat and after a bad meal the previous night in the hotel I was staying, I decided to give the Crown Inn a try instead.

The Crown is located just across the road from the Ramada where I was staying so it was within easy walking distance for me, but it is also very accessible by car being just off the A12/A120 junction in Colchester. That said, it is a little outside Colchester - in Ardleigh Village, so the location has a rural feel to it.

The Inn dates back to 1648 so it has a lot of history and the architecture is of that period with low beams and a roaring log fire.

The menu was varied with plenty of choice. In the end, being in a 'fishy' mood I opted for the Calamari to start with Sea Bass off the specials board for main. I washed this down with my favourite red, a Malbec. I was very tempted by the desert menu, especially as my all time favourite, Eton Mess, featured - but my will power held out and I passed.

The food was absolutely top quality and very well presented and it arrived after a reassuringly reasonable wait (it was clear that the food was freshly cooked). The staff were friendly and attentive and the bill was very reasonable.

Would I go again? Absolutely! There were many other dishes on the menu that I would love to try and I'll make a point of heading here when I'm in the Colchester area again.
The Crown Inn interior