The Crescent

To tour the Crescent, please call (229) 244-6747

The Crescent Valdosta Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Valdosta's Landmark Apr 27, 2008
I believe it was the Automobile Club tour book for Georgia that listed “The Crescent” mansion as a good place to visit. I know I had marked it down as a place of interest on our trip. But we were there on a Sunday and according to the sign out front it is only open Mon – Fri from 2pm to 5pm. When we drove past it appeared to be open and busy. Little did I know that I was intruding on a marriage that was about to take place. I asked several people who were gathered on the large portico and they said that the wedding wasn’t for more than a half hour so we were welcome to go in and look around.

This 23 room grand mansion is Valdosta’s best known landmark and was nearly demolished back in 1951. Luckily, three of the Garden Club’s members stepped in and saved it. The home was built by Col. William S. West in 1898 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It gets its name “The Crescent” from its semi-circular portico supported by 13 massive columns. It is appointed with many original furnishings and period antiques. It has a beautiful gardens area in the rear where several of the local garden clubs vie for best.

We only spent a few minutes looking around, not wanting to interrupt the wedding. But from what we did see I would recommend a visit here if you are in the area.

Related Travel Blogs About The Crescent

The Crescent Mansion
Valdosta, Georgia was our next stop and it was kinda special. We were going to see The Crescent Mansion, a gorgeous home built in 1898 that the city now owns and has maintained as a showpiece for it…Valdosta, Georgia was our next stop and it was kinda special. We were going to see The Crescent Mansion, a gorgeous…

Check Valdosta Hotel Deals