The Cotswolds

England, United Kingdom

The Cotswolds Reviews

RTW_Wannabe RTW_Wann…
Beautiful scenery in the heart of England Jun 09, 2012
I discovered The beauty of the Cotswolds only a year ago when I visited for a weekend. I stayed in a tiny village called Sapperton near Cirencester but from here could easily get to much of the Cotswolds. It is a national park, extending from Broadway (Worcestershire) in the North to about 90 miles south. The area is characterised by 'chocolate box' villages all made from the same beautiful yellow Cotswold stone. Some of the larger towns/villages worth visiting for gift-shopping in The Cotwolds are Bourton-on-the-water, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Broadway. If you want to wander down somewhere quaint and picturesque exclaiming "I want to live here!" visit The Slaughters; the not-so-nice name probably prevents many a would-be visitor but worth a look (although nothing here but a tea-room/bar) but it is sooo pretty. From where I stayed you can easily get to Cheltenham or Cirencester for more serious shopping, and if you like wandering around churches there are many pretty ones. Also worth a look is Hailes Abbey; the ruins of a monastery destroyed during the reformation by Henry VIII (near Broadway). Naturally for people who like hiking/rambling then there is so much to keep you occupied. There are a number of castles and stately homes to visit in the area if that is your thing (Sudeley Castle, Woodchester Mansion and Chavenage House to name but a few but I did not visit so cannot vouch for these).

Food in the Cotswolds is generally good! Every pub I visited served fabulous fayre, much of it local and always fresh, home-cooked, and delicious!

Overall I've put cost as 'average' - because depending what time of year you go the cost will probably vary. England compared to much of the world is pretty expensive so I think cost is always relative! I found food and drink to be good value compared to say, London, but far more expensive than my home town of Birmingham. As I say, all relative.
Hailes Abbey