The Cocoon Vang Vieng Resort Vientiane

Check Vientiane Hotel Deals

The Cocoon Vang Vieng Resort Vientiane Reviews

kimpigott kimpigott
Quiet guesthouse on the river front and 10 minute walk to town Aug 12, 2011
So this place is a 10 minute walk out of town, just pass all the riverside restaurants showing Friends etc and you'll see SpiceyLaos Backpackers and you'll go down quite a steep hill to where you will find reception. My rucksack wheels didn't go too well down the stoney track down the hill but it's all relatively flat once you get down there.

It was 64,000 kip a night and you get your own little bungalow. The stairs leading up to the bungalow are a bit dodgy. Basically you wouldn't like to do them after a few too many to drink. You have your own little terrace. When I got into the room, there was a big double bed with a big mosquito net covering it. You got clean towels (2 as it was a double room) and you get 2 bottles of water as well. The bed was actually really comfy and had quite a thick sheet on but it all looked really clean.

The showers are shared and are based behind the bungalows about central to all of them. Ok so they don't look great from the outside and when I had a shower there was a guy hocking up some flem next door which didn't make for a pleasant experience but the showers themselves were clean and big. The sinks were outside where you had a mirror also.

There were a couple of plug points in the room also. The rooms were supposed to have wifi but when I got there it was down and after going out for dinner I asked the guy on reception about the password and as it was down he offered me the network cable so that I could use my laptop in reception. Not ideal as I felt like I was keeping them awake or something but at least I got to check emails etc. Typical the day I leave it all gets sorted.

They do also have a swimming pool but didn't get chance to use this and it was also out of action as they were putting chlorine or something in it. I'm sure it was just my bad luck of getting there when the main things that were good for me weren't actually working but that's not to say that they wouldn't be good as the place itself is lovely. You can walk down to the river as well and the views from the bungalows are stunning. Had I stayed longer I might of made it to the restaurant that they have on site as well. But I was there for one night as a stop gap before heading to Luang Prabang.

At night the music was very distant so if you are wanting to stay out of the noise then this is a great find. I would suggest having a look at the Agoda website as I believe you can get forms of discount for booking online. :)

Oh and when you book onward trips, it was formally called the Cocoon Resort but now called the d'Rose Resort just incase there is any confusion when the travel people come to pick you up. When they do pick you up, make sure you hold on to the sides going up the hill to the main road - it's quite bumpy!! ha ha
The views down the river
The shared bathroom

The Cocoon Vang Vieng Resort Vientiane Overview

Welcome to The Cocoon.The Cocoon is a sanctuary...It is hidden amongst the trees of Vang Vieng, surrounded by the Pha Tang Mountains and situated along the Nam Song River, leading to spectacular lime stone caves, ready to explore.

Check Vientiane Hotel Deals