The Coconut Palms Resort

Check Cabarete Hotel Deals

The Coconut Palms Resort Cabarete Reviews

nobaddays nobaddays
Cultural beauty in a laid back surf town Mar 21, 2009
Arrived at Coconut Palms tired from a long flight fromLos Angeles and was in our room in less than 30 minutes. The room was really more than I expected from some of the pics and reviews. The maid brought us extra sheets,pillows and blankets for my daughters friend who used the fold out couch for a bed. The room was clean no bugs but brought my bug spray just in case.

I exchanged with RCI and this was one of very few non- All-Inclusive Resorts in the Dominican . I also liked the fact I was in a area known for wave, wind, and kite surfing and not the typical 5 Star Resort attitude. Yes it is true the walk to the beach is among horses, cows, and chickens grazing in the grass but I found it refereshing. Or you can just take the beach shuttle and close your eyes till you get there.

We ate at the local restaurants in Cabarete most of time because we did want to taste the real Dominican flavor (El Mello, Sandros Cafeteria, Paradise). At the resort the restaurant is open and airy and the few dishes I did have were very tasty (Chicken Soup, Seafood stew, the vegetable platter) the preparation is a little slow at all the restaurants including the resort but it's because everything is made fresh and not sitting in a pot over a warmer, it's worth the wait.

The resort also has a great Tiki Bar by the pool with Victor ready to serve, and a M'endys Bar and Grill on the beach. The beach is not the typical slow rolling Caribbean waves that you might expect, its a surf machine. Surf instructors (Christian and Gabriel) are all along the beach with their surf shacks well equipped for surf lessons. Also you have horseback riding on the beach, with surf doggies trailing behind you which is better than the countless vendors you would encounter in other resorts.

The location is perfect for someone who enjoys both the quiet time away from the overcrowded noisy mega resorts and the option of going to either Sosua or Cabarete for dinner and entertainment. Myself, my daughter and her friend have agreed we will return to this location because the genuine feeling that this laid back surfing area and the friends we made here are priceless memories will bring us back.

If you need your phone, a huge TV, room service, and don't want to enjoy a culture we could learn from....Don't book at this resort!
The pool at Coconut Palms
The road to the beach
Coconut Palms view from beach
Coconut Palms Resort
globalodyssey says:
very helpful
i hope to go this summer, for fun, and also to buy some larimar to work with
Posted on: May 13, 2009