The Cities of Morocco- Something for everyone

The Cities of Morocco- Something for everyone Reviews

global_citizen global_c…
Dec 29, 2007
I spent the majority of my time in Rabat. Rabat is the capital of Morocco. I found it beautiful. The area around Mohamed V is full of national buildings, shops, stores, etc. Not to far you will find the Le Souke, which is the market. Amaaaazing crafts and leather goods. Morocco is known for their leather. People in Rabat are nice and friendly. They are accustomed to seeing tourists and students who go to one of the many universities in Rabat.

Everyone hears about Marrakesh and I have to let you know Marrakech is not pleasant at allll! Unless you like very aggressive vendors who harass you. It has a very hostile tourist driven economy, which makes street vendors very aggressive. The large Le Souke downtown is a labyrinth and every street looks like the previous street. It is soooooo easy to get lost. When we were in Marrakech we were divided into groups. My group got lost and the 3 of us found ourselves being followed by a few very drunk men that were determined to "Show us the way" out but we knew something was fishy. We had heard many scam stories and robberies happen and we had a very bad long drawn out experience trying to ditch these guys in broad day light as we entered every shop we could trying to loose them.

Fez is another city many Spaniard and French tourists visit. It is also huge and sometimes feels like a maze. There is plenty to do and see. One of our stops was in one of the largest tanneries in Morocco. To the ladies (don't be offended when men offer you a sum of camels to wed you) this happened more frequently in Fez. Men are more aggressive there. Definitely travel with a man after dark to avoid being grabbed.

A town ( not city) that I found allot more friendly and pleasant was Chefchaouen . Chefchaouen is very laid back. Everything is so clean, colorful and pristine. It is this beautiful town in the Riff mountains, not too far from Tangiers in the North area of Morocco nestled in the mountains. It is absolutely beautiful. Everything is painted a turqouise blue. Most people speak spanish, english, arabic and french here. It was almost magical this town. The vendors do not need to harass you because there isin't the same kind of tourism culture that emerges in overcrowded hostile cities like Fez and Marrakech.
lazybum says:
Thanks for your so honest opinion about the cities! its more usefull :)
Posted on: May 05, 2008
flammick says:
I've wanted to go to Morocco for ages and after reading this I'm even more sold on it. Thanks!
Posted on: Jan 07, 2008