The Chicago Diner

3411 North Halsted Street, Chicago, IL, USA - (773) 935-6696

The Chicago Diner Reviews

_taartje_ _taartje_
6 reviews so veg fare... Mar 22, 2009
I'd been wanting to go to Chicago Diner for quite some time, but I don't often find myself up that way.

Husband and I stopped in for lunch and it was Ohhhh-kay. Though, I have to be honest, the Reuben was a bit too much like a Reuben for my veg. taste buds and the idea of it leaves me a bit nauseous now. But for a meat eater it'd be a great sandwich when you find yourself dragged here, I suppose. The roasted veggie sandwich was fine. Nothing over the top extraordinary. Though, at their prices, you do kind of expect extraordinary. The side of potatoes were burnt and lukewarm. We tried the dumplings, they were okay. The skin was strangely thick and rubbery.

I wanted to fall in love with this place. I wanted to have to find more reasons to head up this way. But sadly, Chicago Diner didn't win this Vegan over... I'll give it another try if I find myself up that way, but I won't make a special trip for it.

I realize this place is always the first to be recommended for out of town Vegan's, etc... I suggest you try other places before heading to Chicago Diner... But also, don't be afraid to give it a shot, you might be wowed more than I was...I just don't get the hype of this place, so maybe you'll go in with low expectations and be very seriously pleased!
mlynn_hartwell mlynn_ha…
The Chicago Diner Apr 13, 2008
This Boystown area restaurant specializes in vegetarian and vegan fare. Menu highlights include enchiladas made from seitan (a wheat "meat" made from wheat gluten), roasted vegetable lasagna and a seitan Reuben sandwich on marbled rye. I enjoyed the food and the people. I highly recommend that you check this restaurant out the next time you are in the neighborhood.

Check Chicago Hotel Deals